none
"Additional logon information is required" "Please enter user credentials" : Why?

Question

• Sometimes when I try to connect to a wifi network, i enter my username/password, it tries to connect for a while then I get the same popup asking me to enter my user credentials...again.

There is never any reason specified for why I am being asked to re-enter my user credentials.

This is extremely annoying. How can I troubleshoot this if Windows does not tell me why?

Event viewer shows no error messages either.

Is there any way to get Windows to tell me why I am being asked to re-enter my user credentials?

Thursday, March 9, 2017 4:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try the steps below and check if it helps.

(1) Go to Control Panel, then Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing Center.

(2) Click Manage Wireless Networks in the upper left portion of the window.

(3) Then click "Add," go through the steps below and then choose the new network as your active network.

(4) Select "Manually create a network profile."

(5) Complete the form in the next window, including your network SSID, encryption type, encryption key, etc.  Select the option to connect automatically.

(6) Save. It should say "Network Successfully Added."

For more information, please refer to the link:

Windows 7 Network Authentication issue

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/windows-7-network-authentication-issue/4e37aa92-06ad-4777-8ca6-b41756a483ef

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 10, 2017 7:44 AM
  • Hi,

Please try the steps below and check if it helps.

(1) Go to Control Panel, then Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing Center.

(2) Click Manage Wireless Networks in the upper left portion of the window.

(3) Then click "Add," go through the steps below and then choose the new network as your active network.

(4) Select "Manually create a network profile."

(5) Complete the form in the next window, including your network SSID, encryption type, encryption key, etc.  Select the option to connect automatically.

(6) Save. It should say "Network Successfully Added."

For more information, please refer to the link:

Windows 7 Network Authentication issue

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tao : Can you please re-read the question, because I am not having issues creating a network profile.

The question is : Is there any way to get Windows to tell me why I am being asked to re-enter my user credentials?

Edit : Also the link you provided is irrelevant, it is about a user being prompted to enter a username/password for a wifi network that is not setup for one. This is not my situation. The wifi network i am connecting to requires a username/password.

Again, the question is : Is there any way to get Windows to tell me why I am being asked to re-enter my user credentials?

Friday, March 10, 2017 2:48 PM
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you for a couple of days, have you solved the problem?  We are looking forward to your good news.

Best Regards,

Tao

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 5:13 AM