none
Removed inactive protection. Now have 4TB free disk space. Didn't expect that. RRS feed

• Question

• We have some file servers on which I have stopped backing up the System State data and BMR. After removing the data from Inactive Protection, I went from ~800GB free to a whopping 4+TB free on the short term protection disks.  I expected to recover ~63GB.

I am concerned that I removed something I didn't intend to and am trying to find the logging associated with the changes I made.  I've looked through Event Viewer Application, System, DPM Alerts, and DPM Backup Events and didn't see anything relevant.

I also tried to look through the logs in c:\program files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\DPM\DPM\Temp but didn't see anything.  The logs are cryptic and I am not sure what to look for.

This is DPM in Microsoft System Center 2012 R2.

Where can I find this information?

TIA.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 10:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I do not think you will be able to find the information about what you deleted in any logs.
    But if you have a backup of the DPM-database prior to the time when you deleted the Inactive Protection, the information should be available in that. Be careful not to restore the DPM-database onto the same instance as your production DPM-server to avoid any trouble. 

In case you do not have any backup of the DPM-database, I strongly recommend you to configure it to an remote location.

Kind Regards
    Markus Eliasson

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 11:46 PM
  • Hi Markus,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

What makes you think the change will be hard to find?  It seems like something that would be logged.  Or, perhaps logged in an unfriendly human readable way?

I'm new to DPM and trying to get a feel for things.

Friday, January 29, 2016 12:02 AM
  • Hi,

I think the quickest way for you to find out what was in the Inactive Protection-group is to deploy a new DPM-server to which you restore the DPM DB from a time before you deleted the inactive protection. Just be careful so that the new DPM-server does not interfere with your current DPM-server.

You should be able to open the console on the new DPM-server and look into the Inactive Protection-group without having any DPM-storage configured.

Hopefully someone else, perhaps Microsoft personal can verify if there is a log or not that saves the information about what is getting deleted.

Kind regards
    Markus Eliasson

Friday, January 29, 2016 7:40 AM
  • Hello

(You could use "Recovery Point Status" report, that you can find in "Reporting" section in DPM UI, then list the recovery points from last 4 weeks and compare.) ==> Removed as it will only list recovery points of active protection group at the moment you run the report

Also note that DPM is always allocating way more space than it really uses, for example in one of my file protection group, I have 8To allocated for 4To used in replica volume, and 180Go allocated for 4Go used in recovery point volume.

Regards
    Julien

• Edited by Julien Momier Friday, January 29, 2016 2:07 PM remove section
    Friday, January 29, 2016 10:49 AM
  • Hi,

depending on your retention range the size of BMR backups can get quite big.

This is because of the way these backups are created: BMR backups are NOT incremental backups as usual DPM file backups.
    The backups are created by WSB (Windows Server Backup) and not the DPM Agent itself. WSB then directly copies the BMR-Files to the replica on the DPM Server.

Creating a new DPM Server and restoring an older version of the DPMDB is not the best idea I guess...
    Cause you already have a DPM Server with the same Name in your Network and renaming a DPM Server (or restoring the DB to a DPM with a different Name) won't work flawlessly.

Kind regards

/bkpfast

My postings are provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confer no rights

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 4:25 PM