App-V 5.0 SP1 Installation: Setup error while checking if the system prerequisites are met. unknown property RRS feed

• Question

• hi there

I get an error when i try to install the new App-V Client 5.0 SP1 (over existing and working App-V 5.0 Client) on my windows 8 Enterprise x64 machine. It means (translated from german by myself, it should be like this in english): "Setup error while checking, if the system prerequisites are met. Unknown property."
    After this error the setup aborts and the previously working app-v client also isn't working anymore. I can't even start it, it doesn't display any error, it just doesn't start anymore... when i try to uninstall the App-V Client (which is still 5.0 without SP1 in de program-deinstallation-interface...) it displays the same error as when i try to install the new one!?!? It can't detect the prerequisites. unknown property.
    I also noticed that the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Application Virtualization" folder is empty!

I don't even find any error or warnings in the event viewer and the App-V subtree is just gone!?

On a Windows 7 Enterprise x64 test machine it worked to install the SP1 over an existing App-V 5.0 Client!

Anyone does have the same problem or can help me on troubleshooting -> producing some understandable errors??? I don't want to reinstall my whole machine...
    I'm also wondering, why the 2013 iso doesn't contain the MSI files for the client installation anymore (as the 2012 iso had).... is this deliberate?

Thanks in advantage for any help!!! I'm going nuts :-/

PS: My system is a Windows 8 Enterprise x64 with actual updates... the server is a 2012 standard with sql 2012 standard. I successfully updated the server component to 5.0 SP1 but the client couldn't update...

• Edited by Stephan Zeller Wednesday, April 24, 2013 6:59 AM grammar correction
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 6:41 AM

Answers

• Hello,

See this topic on howto extract the MSI-files from the App-V 5.0 SP1 installation media;

http://blogs.technet.com/b/gladiatormsft/archive/2013/04/24/mdop-2013-embeds-app-v-msi-s-inside-of-exe-files.aspx

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 6:50 PM
  • Last problem solved so far! In case someone else is searching for this:
    To install the App-V Client with MSI file via GPO you need to make an MST file (of course) and add the following entry to the property table in the MSI/MST file:

property needs to be ACCEPTEULA (in UPPERCASE!!) and
    value needs to be 1

Thanks to anyone who helped me to come on the right track!

Friday, April 26, 2013 9:34 AM
  • What a buggy installer!

• I figured out, that when i use msiexec /i with the (finally found) MSI-files (with the parameter AcceptEULA=1) to install the client with SP1 on my Win8 Enterprise x64 machine, it installs without this strange error message as it displayed with the EXE! Now I'll uninstall it again and try to deploy it with a GPO...
    • And also on the other machine with Win7 Enterprise SP1 x64 where i manually installed it with the EXE successfully, but couldn't uninstall it again under the control panel with the "Programs and Features" list (because i want to deploy it with GPO of course) and have to test it. It uninstalls without bucking with the msiexec /x parameter!!??

Long story short: DON'T use the EXE for the setup, always the MSI-file! And also for deinstallation DON'T use the GUI in the control panel, always the MSI-file! Seems to be much less error-prone than the setup with the appv_client_setup.exe or deinstallation with "Programs and Features".

@znack: I'll mark your tip with the extraction of the MSI-files as answer, because it led me to the MSI files which brought my setup/deinstallation processes to work!

One last follow up question: To deploy the client via GPO i made an MST-file with Orca and added the property AcceptEULA with the value 1 and added the MST to the appropriate entry under the Software Installation in the GPO, but that seems to be the wrong way! I mean its the right place to add the MST, but it doesn't seem to take effect for the installation at boot... the Eventviewer says i have to install the client with the MSI property AcceptEULA=1. Is there an other place to add this property for deployment with GPO?
    That should be the last sticking point for me here...

Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:03 AM

All replies

• The SP1 ISO contains MSI's for client, server and sequencer. In de "CORE MSI"-folder.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 9:09 AM
  • Call me stupid, but there isn't any CORE MSI folder on the ISO...
    We can download it from MSDNAA (Academic Alliance or something)... we already re-downloaded the iso but it's still without the MSI for App-V 5... all other products in the MDOP iso got MSI Installers with them even the language packs for the app-v got MSI files (i searched the whole content with *.msi and clicked through it manually), but no msi files for the main parts of the client, sequencer and server (only in 5.0 and below versions, there are MSI files [but not in the 5.0 SP1])...
    is there an alternative place where i could download the iso?

The iso is called: de_microsoft_desktop_optimization_pack_for_software_assurance_2013_x86_x64_dvd_1992086.iso

But we're going to download the english version of the iso now... because the core is in english anyway and i at least got the MSI file for the german language pack... so i can solve it this way maybe... i'll report back when the english one is downloaded.

Thanks for your help, it think it could be problem of the german version which you - of course - don't use.
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 9:31 AM
  • Hello,

See this topic on howto extract the MSI-files from the App-V 5.0 SP1 installation media;

http://blogs.technet.com/b/gladiatormsft/archive/2013/04/24/mdop-2013-embeds-app-v-msi-s-inside-of-exe-files.aspx

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 6:50 PM
  • Thanks znack!
    But why do they only mention the language packs in this article? I mean, the language pack MSI-files are already included on the iso, so i don't thought i should try this because i already have this msi-files... because i read the article before.

Anyway now I have my MSI's and I'm happy, thanks again!

PS: I unvoted it as answer, because in this topic i primarly seek a solution for my installation problem (check prerequisites error). Maybe this problem can also be solved in some way, then I'm all fine again... because completely reinstall my workstation (just because of the App-V client) would be a LOT of work.
    • Edited by Stephan Zeller Thursday, April 25, 2013 6:08 AM unmarked answer because another problem is the topic here, but i can't stop to thank all of you helpful guys!
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:50 AM
  • Damn... now I've got the same error on the other test machine (Win7 Enterprise SP1 x64) when i try to uninstall the manually installed App-V 5.0 Client SP1 (because I have the MSI files now, i wanted to test the GPO deployment on it)... Just like: "setup error, when trying to detect system prerequisites. unkown property."
    Come on, i can't be the only one with this problem... F1 F1!!! ;)
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 6:31 AM
  • Hello,

Could you perhaps elaborate on a bit on what you are doing?

Thursday, April 25, 2013 6:43 AM
  • What a buggy installer!

• I figured out, that when i use msiexec /i with the (finally found) MSI-files (with the parameter AcceptEULA=1) to install the client with SP1 on my Win8 Enterprise x64 machine, it installs without this strange error message as it displayed with the EXE! Now I'll uninstall it again and try to deploy it with a GPO...
    • And also on the other machine with Win7 Enterprise SP1 x64 where i manually installed it with the EXE successfully, but couldn't uninstall it again under the control panel with the "Programs and Features" list (because i want to deploy it with GPO of course) and have to test it. It uninstalls without bucking with the msiexec /x parameter!!??

Long story short: DON'T use the EXE for the setup, always the MSI-file! And also for deinstallation DON'T use the GUI in the control panel, always the MSI-file! Seems to be much less error-prone than the setup with the appv_client_setup.exe or deinstallation with "Programs and Features".

@znack: I'll mark your tip with the extraction of the MSI-files as answer, because it led me to the MSI files which brought my setup/deinstallation processes to work!

One last follow up question: To deploy the client via GPO i made an MST-file with Orca and added the property AcceptEULA with the value 1 and added the MST to the appropriate entry under the Software Installation in the GPO, but that seems to be the wrong way! I mean its the right place to add the MST, but it doesn't seem to take effect for the installation at boot... the Eventviewer says i have to install the client with the MSI property AcceptEULA=1. Is there an other place to add this property for deployment with GPO?
    That should be the last sticking point for me here...

Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:03 AM
  • Set AcceptEULA=1 as a property to the MSI.

(Not sure if this is possible with GPO software deployments, it's been a long time that I used GPO's to deploy software)

I use this command line to install the AppV5 SP1 client:

msiexec /i APPV_CLIENT_MSI_X64.MSI /qb! /NORESTART AcceptEULA=1 /L*v "Logpath\appv_client_MSI_x64.log"

Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:31 AM
  • Hi Ben

Thanks for your post. That's what I did successfully when I install it manually via cmd and it works, but my only problem is to get this property into a deployment with GPO. Normally you would do this with a MST (transform file) which you add at the tab Changes (or whatever its called in an english version... the tab where you add MST... i do this without problems for other deployments via GPO eg. Java or Adobe Reader). But it doesn't seem to work for the appv MSI for some reason. I use Orca (from Windows SDK) to generate MST files what works in other cases and i can generate it also for the app-v client, but the manually added property AcceptEULA with value 1 in the property table seems to be wrong in some way... i hope there's someone which also uses GPO to deploy software and already solved this...
    I didn't find some helpful information when i use google, only general information on how to add command line parameters to GPO deployments but the also say use an MST file, thats what i already do...
    But i believe in all the geniuses around here, someone will slap my brain in the right direction or even directly to the solution ;)

Edit: I understand it's not really possible for you to help me, when you don't use GPO deployment yourself or haven't used it for a long time. I think the property could be named slightly different for use inside an MST or something like that... it doesn't always work to just make a property called the same like in command line usage. Thanks anyway! Enjoy your meal!
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:50 AM
  • Last problem solved so far! In case someone else is searching for this:
    To install the App-V Client with MSI file via GPO you need to make an MST file (of course) and add the following entry to the property table in the MSI/MST file:

property needs to be ACCEPTEULA (in UPPERCASE!!) and
    value needs to be 1

Thanks to anyone who helped me to come on the right track!

Friday, April 26, 2013 9:34 AM
  • I ran the SP1 MSI manually and for some strange reason it installs every available language pack.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks!

Thursday, May 9, 2013 6:33 PM
  • Hi Ben,

I tried using the command line to install but it still pops up saying that you must accept the license terms to install this software. Any thoughts? I am actually trying to deploy this via SCCM 2012 SP1.

I have even tried running the .exe install manually and it says "Setup failed while scanning the system for prerequisites. Unknown property." but I have .NET 4 Extended and all of the C++ redistributable packages installed.

Any thoughts?

Monday, May 13, 2013 4:31 PM
  • Check the logs for more info about the prereq. 

I'm also using using SCCM 2012 SP1 to deploy the MSI, with the command line above (in a batch file). 

Could you post your log file generated with the installer? 

Monday, May 13, 2013 5:00 PM
  • Hey Ben,

I have put a screenshot of the error that comes up below. The log file is HERE (its long and didn't want to clutter up the thread). Right now I am just trying to manually install it from the command line on the PC until I get this error sorted out. So I am just pasting the command that you posted above right into cmd.

Thanks for your help!

Monday, May 13, 2013 6:21 PM
  • Figured it out...The download of App-V that I got from the volume license site had a CORE MSI folder with the MSI files in it. I was trying to use these. Once I extracted the files from the EXE file as noted on this page, the error went away and it installed just fine.

Thanks!

Monday, May 13, 2013 6:52 PM
  • I'm using the MSIs from the core msi folder with success. 

Good news that you have solved your issue. 

Monday, May 13, 2013 8:24 PM