none
Syncing large IMAP mailbox RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client who refuses to delete e-mails from their Inbox.

The client is a company manager who insists on having access to the Inbox for each of 12 other employees so his Outlook handles something like 15 addresses, his own personal Inbox currently having in excess of 82,000 messages.  One other employee has over 102,000 messages.

All accounts are set up as IMAP accounts and almost every day we have a problem whereby Outlook doesn't receive new messages.  If the account is removed from Outlook and re-entered all is well but the sync takes HOURS (as you would expect with so many messages).  More often than not, the same problem will re-occur the next day.

I am wondering if the PC going to sleep might be the cause of Outlook getting screwed up and I have changed the power settings to prevent the PC going to sleep at all as an experiment.

Because of the sheer size of the mailbox (currently around 52GB) there isn't any other obvious solution for something like Exchange or Office 365 as both of those are limited to 50GB and I can see the future demands easily getting to at least double that.  The mail server is currently running on a Synology NAS and the ciient is Outlook 365 running under Windows 10.

Any comments would be welcome.

Computamedic

Monday, July 15, 2019 10:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Computamedic,

Obviously you have a very big mailbox, this can be the reason for your issue. Please try reduce the size of your mailbox.

1. Mailbox Cleanup: Click File > Mail Settings > Mailbox Cleanup, here you can select View Mailbox Size, Find items older than, Find items larger than, View Deleted Items Size, Empty Deleted Items folder, View Conflicts Size, or Empty Conflicts to perform your desired task.
    2. Archive items: Your Outlook mailbox is only so big, and it’s a good bet that you won’t stop getting email anytime soon. To keep it from filling up, you can move old items you want to keep to an archive, a separate Outlook Data File (.pst) that you can open from Outlook any time you need it. For more details, please refer to this article.
    3. Reduce the size of your OST file:
      (1) Click "File" > Account Settings
      (2) On the Data Files tab, click the data file that you want to compact, and then click Settings.
      (3) Click the Advanced tab > Outlook Data File Settings.
      (4) In the Outlook Data File Settings dialog, click Compact Now and then click OK.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 7:48 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got the issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 9:41 AM
  • Aidan,

It's not really an answer I'm afraid - it's more a case of stating the obvious.  It would appear that Outlook is just massively unreliable when asked to handle huge volumes of messages so there is no real answer other than to reduce the volume of messages.

Moving to Exchange or Office 365 is unlikely to be any better - largely because the problem is at the client end, not the server.  I can't propose a more costly solution without any guarantees that the solution will be any better.

POP collection MIGHT help the sync process but it doesn't help Outlook handle the volume any better. 

Computamedic

Thursday, July 18, 2019 10:47 AM
  • Computamedic,

Re-install company manger, this should fix the problem. Outlook and email are already working fine.

;-)

RC

Thursday, July 18, 2019 2:04 PM
  • Hi Computamedic,

I understand that you are not very satisfied with the solution to reduce the size of the mailbox.

All servers have a maximum mailbox size, once your mailbox is large than the maximum, you may not be able to receive more emails.

>> If the account is removed from Outlook and re-entered all is well but the sync takes HOURS (as you would expect with so many messages). 

At the same time, IMAP account sync data from server then Outlook store the messages in a OST file, once the messages in the server is too many, it will take a long time to re-sync.

So, regular archiving is a good choice, you won't lose your data and also reduce your mailbox size.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Monday, July 22, 2019 8:51 AM