none
When to use SharePoint Team Site and when to use Project Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, we are on SharePoint 2013 SP1 and thus Project Server 2013 SP1 Enterprise Edition.

I came on a few months ago and we are getting Project Server back online and in use.

What do I need to do to get people to use Project Server?  When do we use it?  When is a SharePoint Team Site not good enough and when is Project Server required / recommended / needed?

Is it that you can use Microsoft Project 2013 with it and so you can have it integrate?  Can't you just put that MPP (I think that's the file extension) into a document library and then use it?

I am not trying to argue, just wondering and asking questions.

I'd like to use Project Server more, I just wonder if there are recommendations for it.  Maybe if 10 people are involved, or if it will be planned to be over 6 months, etc.

Are there best practices or recommendations that I might have not found / searched for?

Thank you!

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• Matthew,

There are a ton of benefits to utilizing project server and the project site is just one of them. You want to use project server when your projects require a project manager to manage the work vs. something more of a service request. 

While you could put an MPP file in a document library that doesn't do anything for you from a collaboration perspective. Here are a few high level benefits you should be aware of: 

• Shared Resource Pool - Projects in Project Server share the same resources allowing you to forecast resource usage across projects "How many developers do we need in March?, Why is Sue so busy? Oh she is working 150% of her allocation"
    • Roll up / Roll down reporting - when projects are in MSPS you can report from the task level to the portfolio level and everything in between. Your tasks summarize to projects and those projects summarize to programs (or any other custom grouping you define), etc. "Show me how much money we are spending next quarter in R&D"
    • Risk and Issue Rollup  - Project sites in MSPS have some special "hooks" into the reporting database allowing you to easily do consolidated risk, issue, deliverable reporting across projects in one spot. "Show me all risks and issues assigned to Bob, Show me all open issues"
    • Time tracking, Resource Management, Built in reports, Check in / out, security groups, Portfolio Analysis, etc. (other topics to consider taking advantage of)

It sounds like you should consult with a vendor who can give you an overview of how you should be using MSPS. One of the biggest challenges with this software is that it CAN do so much that people often are unsure HOW they should be using the software. 

Stephen T. O'Connor Jr., PMP soconnorjr@gmail.com

Sunday, May 1, 2016 1:56 PM
  • Thank you  This will sound bad; are the features in Microsoft Project 2013 SP1 includes (maybe not 100%) in Microsoft Project Server 2013 SP1 ?  I am wondering if people w/o Project 2013 will get the same "experience" if they have Project Server.  I know there's the difference between the client and the web browser.  I am just worried people will say "The client rulez!" or something and I won't have any excuse to get people to use Project Server!
    Thank you!
    Friday, July 29, 2016 11:49 AM
  • Mathew:

Project Server and Project Online do not replace the client. You should have a copy of Project Professional for every project manager, scheduler and administrator. PWA (UI for Project Server) provides schedule editing capabilities, but in comparison, the client rules, indeed.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, August 4, 2016 8:30 PM