Lenovo W510 with extremely poor performance RRS feed

• Question

• My wife's computer has been functioning extremely slow for about 6 months - even moving the mouse across the screen is choppy. It's always had an antivirus program, and for the past couple of years, AVG has been on it. I've scanned it with Malwarebytes in addition to Sophos antirootkit and Kaspersky tdsskiller. Everything shows up clean. It has a Seagate ST9320423AS hard drive, and the SMART diags are OK and I've run the diagnostic tests with Seagate's seatools. These come back as OK. CPU is generally just a few percent, and there is 4GB of installed memory - cached is generally around 2240 MB, availabe is around 2325 MB, and Free is around 100 MB.

Just for testing, I've disabled and even temporarily uninstalled antivirus, and I've uninstalled uncessary programs. I've started the system in safe mode, and even then it still performs very sluggishly. I just tried to watch Netflix with the browser windows only covering about 1/2 the screen, and the video lagged the audio by several seconds before even a minute was up.   I defragged the drive several times over the past few months. The computer doesn't act quirky, e.g. pulling up unusual web pages or popups. I've gone through msconfig, and nothing appears abnormal. 

Does anyone have any idea what I can try next? Thanks

Saturday, February 9, 2013 10:18 PM

Answers

• You're on top of this stuff! From this log it looks like you're squeaky clean.

Whatever is wrong with your computer definitely isn't a virus. I can assure you that.

As for why your computer is slow, it's pretty puzzling. Considering you've defragged the laptop, that would put it at either a faulty driver, corrupt system files, or bad hardware.

First, try a registry clean. I'm not so sure it'll fix the problem, but it's worth a try: http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/registry-cleaner/download/

If that doesn't work, go to the start menu, type CMD and right click it, then run as admin. Type "sfc /scannow" without quotes to check the OS for broken system files. It will automatically fix them if they're broken.

If that doesn't find anything, try repairing or re-installing the drivers for your laptop. It's possible your video driver, CPU or BIOS could be causing an issue.

I'm not sure if you're up to this but a fresh re-install of Windows will always be your best bet when the OS is irreparable. Just make sure you backup your stuff.

If all else fails, it has to be some sort of hardware issue. If the memory test comes up bad, then swap out the RAM. It'll cost you like $20-$30 bucks and it's easy to do. It could also be the hard drive failing, so I'd test it with some of the tools you can find here: http://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/hard-drive-diagnostics/

These are the things I would do if this had happened to me should I be in your situation. If you want you can wait on some more answers or you can try some of these now. They won't hurt your computer (except wiping Windows obviously).

• Marked as answer by baskervi Sunday, February 10, 2013 11:43 AM
    Sunday, February 10, 2013 7:56 AM
  • I found what the problem was - the power supply. We recently had a problem with the power connector on the laptop, so I purchased a docking station that came with a power supply. I noticed it was smaller in size but used it any way. The new power supply was rated at 4.5A, while the old was rated at 6.75A. As soon as I started using the old power supply, performance was back to what it was some time ago. This wasn't obvious, as I had used a different power supply from another laptop while waiting for the docking station to arrive (and for probably a month or two before even ordering the docking station), simply because it made a better connection to the laptop. I noticed it was slower then, but it didn't seem too bad until I had used the docking station for a while.
    • Marked as answer by baskervi Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:30 AM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:19 AM

All replies

• First, tell me what programs start up with the computer. You can do this by bringing up the start menu, typing 'msconfig', open the program and click the 'Startup' tab. Most of these programs are also located on the bottom right in your system tray. It would be more helpful if you sent me a Hijackthis log, but I know it's kinda annoying to do that.

Next, follow this guide on doing a memory diagnostic, it is possible you may have defective RAM:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/715-memory-diagnostics-tool.html

Lastly, how much free space is left on your hard drive? It might just be that your computer is full and has less space to cache.

Saturday, February 9, 2013 10:27 PM
  • Thanks for the fast response. Here's the HJT log. There is 114GB available out of 287.15GB. I'm running a memory scan now.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
    Scan saved at 9:44:21 PM, on 2/9/2013
    Platform: Windows 7 SP1 (WinNT 6.00.3505)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v9.00 (9.00.8112.16457)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\Program Files\Lenovo\Communications Utility\TPKNRRES.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\OLYMPUS\OLYMPUS Master 2\MMonitor.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\OLYMPUS\DeviceDetector\DevDtct2.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorIcon.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG2012\avgtray.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\Users\Edmond Neurotherapy\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
    C:\Users\Edmond Neurotherapy\Downloads\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://lenovo.msn.com
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = Preserve
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.bigseekpro.com/pivotstickfigure/{9EABD5BE-9BDE-4939-87B3-91D8E3602302}
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = 
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = 
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = 
    F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe,
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
    O2 - BHO: AVG Do Not Track - {31332EEF-CB9F-458F-AFEB-D30E9A66B6BA} - C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG2012\avgdtiex.dll
    O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG2012\avgssie.dll
    O2 - BHO: Search Helper - {6EBF7485-159F-4bff-A14F-B9E3AAC4465B} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\Search Helper\SEPsearchhelperie.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll (file missing)
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RotateImage] C:\Program Files (x86)\Integrated Camera Driver\X64\RCIMGDIR.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PWMTRV] rundll32 C:\PROGRA~2\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\PWMTR64V.DLL,PwrMgrBkGndMonitor
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMSS] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IMSS\PIconStartup.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IAStorIcon] C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorIcon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_TRAY] "C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG2012\avgtray.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [APSDaemon] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\APSDaemon.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [OM2_Monitor] "C:\Program Files (x86)\OLYMPUS\OLYMPUS Master 2\MMonitor.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MobileDocuments] C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\ubd.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Users\Edmond Neurotherapy\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
    O4 - Global Startup: Bluetooth.lnk = ?
    O4 - Global Startup: Device Detector 3.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\OLYMPUS\DeviceDetector\DevDtct2.exe
    O9 - Extra button: AVG Do Not Track - {68BCFFE1-A2DA-4B40-9068-87ECBFC19D16} - C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG2012\avgdtiex.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~2\MIF5BA~1\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: Send To Bluetooth - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Send to &Bluetooth Device... - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
    O11 - Options group: [ACCELERATED_GRAPHICS] Accelerated graphics
    O16 - DPF: {FD0B6769-6490-4A91-AA0A-B5AE0DC75AC9} (Performance Viewer Activex Control) - https://secure.logmein.com//activex/ractrl.cab?lmi=928
    O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG2012\avgpp.dll
    O23 - Service: AcPrfMgrSvc - Lenovo - C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\Access Connections\AcPrfMgrSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: AcSvc - Lenovo - C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\Access Connections\AcSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Adobe Flash Player Update Service (AdobeFlashPlayerUpdateSvc) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    O23 - Service: AVGIDSAgent - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG2012\AVGIDSAgent.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG WatchDog (avgwd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG2012\avgwdsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: Bluetooth Service (btwdins) - Broadcom Corporation. - C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Bluetooth Software\btwdins.exe
    O23 - Service: Lenovo Doze Mode Service (DozeSvc) - Lenovo. - C:\Program Files (x86)\ThinkPad\Utilities\DZSVC64.EXE
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\EvtEng.exe
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdatem) (gupdatem) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
    O23 - Service: HP LaserJet Service - HP - C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HPLaserJetService\HPLaserJetService.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology (IAStorDataMgrSvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: ThinkPad PM Service (IBMPMSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\ibmpmsvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Lenovo Camera Mute (LENOVO.CAMMUTE) - Lenovo Group Limited - C:\Program Files\Lenovo\Communications Utility\CAMMUTE.exe
    O23 - Service: Lenovo Microphone Mute (LENOVO.MICMUTE) - Lenovo Group Limited - C:\Program Files\LENOVO\HOTKEY\MICMUTE.exe
    O23 - Service: Lenovo Keyboard Noise Reduction (LENOVO.TPKNRSVC) - Lenovo Group Limited - C:\Program Files\Lenovo\Communications Utility\TPKNRSVC.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) Management and Security Application Local Management Service (LMS) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\LMS\LMS.exe
    O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Performance Driver Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Performance Drivers\nvPDsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Power Manager DBC Service - Lenovo - C:\Program Files (x86)\ThinkPad\Utilities\PWMDBSVC.EXE
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\RegSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: System Update (SUService) - Lenovo Group Limited - C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\System Update\SUService.exe
    O23 - Service: ThinkVantage Registry Monitor Service - Lenovo Group Limited - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Lenovo\tvt_reg_monitor_svc.exe
    O23 - Service: ThinkPad HDD APS Logging Service (TPHDEXLGSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\TPHDEXLG64.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Lenovo Hotkey Client Loader (TPHKLOAD) - Lenovo Group Limited - C:\Program Files\LENOVO\HOTKEY\TPHKLOAD.exe
    O23 - Service: On Screen Display (TPHKSVC) - Lenovo Group Limited - C:\Program Files\LENOVO\HOTKEY\TPHKSVC.exe
    O23 - Service: TurboBoost - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\TurboBoost\TurboBoost.exe
    O23 - Service: TVT Backup Service - Lenovo Group Limited - C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\Rescue and Recovery\rrservice.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) Management & Security Application User Notification Service (UNS) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\UNS\UNS.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatUX.exe,-601 (WatAdminSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
    End of file - 12437 bytes

Sunday, February 10, 2013 3:49 AM
  • You're on top of this stuff! From this log it looks like you're squeaky clean.

Whatever is wrong with your computer definitely isn't a virus. I can assure you that.

As for why your computer is slow, it's pretty puzzling. Considering you've defragged the laptop, that would put it at either a faulty driver, corrupt system files, or bad hardware.

First, try a registry clean. I'm not so sure it'll fix the problem, but it's worth a try: http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/registry-cleaner/download/

If that doesn't work, go to the start menu, type CMD and right click it, then run as admin. Type "sfc /scannow" without quotes to check the OS for broken system files. It will automatically fix them if they're broken.

If that doesn't find anything, try repairing or re-installing the drivers for your laptop. It's possible your video driver, CPU or BIOS could be causing an issue.

I'm not sure if you're up to this but a fresh re-install of Windows will always be your best bet when the OS is irreparable. Just make sure you backup your stuff.

If all else fails, it has to be some sort of hardware issue. If the memory test comes up bad, then swap out the RAM. It'll cost you like $20-$30 bucks and it's easy to do. It could also be the hard drive failing, so I'd test it with some of the tools you can find here: http://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/hard-drive-diagnostics/

These are the things I would do if this had happened to me should I be in your situation. If you want you can wait on some more answers or you can try some of these now. They won't hurt your computer (except wiping Windows obviously).

• Marked as answer by baskervi Sunday, February 10, 2013 11:43 AM
    Sunday, February 10, 2013 7:56 AM
  • First, the memory came back with no problems. I tried sfc /scannow in the past with no impact. Regarding the drive failing, I've already gone through all these steps previously, and some of the steps I've tried multiple times.

I will try a registry clean and reinstallation of the drivers. I considered reinstalling Windows, but there is some special neurotherapy software on it that will be a real pain to reinstall. I'm certain there isn't anything left from what you've suggested, but I really appreciate your help.

Sunday, February 10, 2013 11:43 AM
  • No problem! I understand why you don't want to reformat Windows, it's a pain in the butt. One more thing I can recommend to you is to open Resource Monitor, which you find by typing it in the Start Menu. Look around in the CPU, Memory and Disk tabs. Sort CPU by 'Average CPU', Memory by 'Private (KB)', and Disk by 'Total (B/sec)'. If you see anything abnormally high in CPU usage or memory, or spikes in the charts on the right, then something is causing an issue. The hard disk sort of ties in with both the memory and CPU so don't worry too much about that. This thing has helped me solve issues in the past, and it works very well and is incredibly useful.

Hope you get the issue straightened out!

- Rob

• Edited by hackitfast Sunday, February 10, 2013 7:33 PM
    Sunday, February 10, 2013 7:32 PM
  • I know the problem here has been found and the question has been marked "answered."  However, I have a
    hauntingly similar problem and the lines of questioning seems related and similar so I thought I'd
    start here and open a new question later if need be.

In my case the performance problem is most definately NOT the power supply.  I have three of them, all
    three are genuine W510 power supplies and the problem strikes intermittantly on all of them.  Moreover
    a compete format and reinstall from the factory disks seems to fix the problem, till I reinstalled all the 
    programs I use.  Yes, I got THAT desperate.

I have 16 gigs of ram and hundreds of gigs of free drive space.  My machine usally idles at around 5% CPU
    usage, give or take depending on what I'm doing.  Sometimes it goes as high as 11 to 15% if I'm running
    several (mostly idle) virtual machines.  The problem is that every once in a while, say about once a week but
    sometimes every couple of days or even several times in the same day, the CPU will spike to nearly 100%,
    stay there for a good long while and then fall back to maybe 60 to 80 percent and my system is all but hung. 
    Looking in the Task Manager I see that most active processes have multipled their CPU usage.  Things that
    took 1 or 2 percent not take 5 to 10, those that took 5 are taking 30 and those that didn't register at all then
    register at a couple of percent.  Browsing cnn.com with IE will hang the system.  Some VMs start hogging like
    15 to 30 percent CPU usage and so on.  And the listed CPU usage by process (even with the "show processes
    form all users" enabled) doesn't come to anything like the total CPU usage showing.

Sometimes rebooting fixes the problem and sometimes it comes back up crawling and it takes several reboots
    to "fix" the problem.  Sometimes the system is responsive enough for me to acutally shut it down.  Other
    times I have to just power down or face literally HOURS of swiching tasks, shutting down VMs, etc. Sometimes
    the hard drive seems "uneffected", that's when I can shut down.  Other times the hard drive gets very,
    very, VERY slow.  As in blink, wait, blink, wait, blink, wait, slowing all hard drive related apps down
    and making the suspending of a VM nearly impossible and closing simple apps incredibly painful.

I know this reeks of being a virus.  Especially the part about "hidden" CPU usage.  But this machine has
    always has an antivirus on it and I've been very careful with it.  I even changed antivirus programs after
    the reinstall and was doubly careful but still in a matter of days the problem came back.  Which tells me
    it's almost certainly something in the dozens of programs I've reinstalled with the OS that's causing the
    problem.  But there's no way to guess which program might be the culprit short of waiting weeks between
    installing each one or catching something in the act.

The whole "weekly" thing has me guessing a PC Doctor scan or antivirus scan.  But those don't seem to
    be the problem.  Many times when I reboot windows says it's installing an update so I've wondered if
    having an update pending could cause the problem or prat of it.  But I think that's just getting caught
    int he cross fire.  The problem usually happens when I wake the laptop up from sleep and most often
    when it went to sleep on one network and woke up on another.  Looks like something in the bowels of the
    machine are getting gunked up bringing everying, sometimes inclusing the file system, to its knees.

Oh, and I did once seem to "fix" the problem by backing out several MS Office and .NET updates.  But
    since the problem can go away for long periods of time too there's no telling.

Any thoguhts on that?

Thanks,

Jeff

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 5:55 PM