none
Set initial password using OLSync RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

For a customer we are implementing a connection to Live@Edu by using the OLSync Management Agent

Downloaded from:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=28561

Through this management agent we provision new UserMailboxes to Live@Edu and we want to set an initial password for those new mailboxes.

By default functionality the initial password is a random password that is written to the password.xml file. However we want to use a default password instead of a random password.

We tried to use the mvInitialAttributeName configuration parameter to use a password specified in the metaverse instead of a random password.

This configuration parameter does modify the password.xml file (hiding the password and referring to the metaverse attribute) but the password specified in the metaverse is not set as the initial password on the new Live@Edu mailbox.

We suspect that the randomly generated password is still set on the mailbox, and that only the password.xml file is modified based on the mvInitialAttributeName.

Best regards,
    Pieter de Loos.

Pieter de Loos - Consultant at Traxion (http://www.traxion.com) http://fimfacts.wordpress.com/

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 7:30 AM

Answers

• Hi Pieter,

I've previously achieved this by using a custom provisioning DLL, creating all of the required attributes in Live@Edu and setting exportPassword to a valid password string.  Of course using a custom DLL them means it is an unsupported configuration - your organisation would need to support the management of that DLL going forward.

That might not be the solution for you but hopefully steers you in the right direction.

Ben
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:53 AM
  • Hi Pieter,

I set the 'export_password' attribute in the csentry with the initial password, such as the C# provisioning code:

• csentry["export_password"].StringValue = mventry["birthDate"].StringValue;

What you also need to do is set the OLSync MA connection information for the password extension using the same MA connection information. Go to the 'Configured Extensions' tab and set the password extension information.

Regards

David

Thursday, November 1, 2012 4:09 AM
  • Hi,

There is a parameter that can be set using OLSync solution -

Open the Hosted MA and from the Configure Additional Parameters add a parameter named MVInitialPasswordAttributeName where the Value is the Metaverse attribute that hold the initial password.

The result will be that any newly user will be provisioned with the initial password set in the Metaverse.

Patrick.

Patrick Layani

Monday, November 5, 2012 11:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Pieter,

I've previously achieved this by using a custom provisioning DLL, creating all of the required attributes in Live@Edu and setting exportPassword to a valid password string.  Of course using a custom DLL them means it is an unsupported configuration - your organisation would need to support the management of that DLL going forward.

That might not be the solution for you but hopefully steers you in the right direction.

Ben
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:53 AM
  • Hi Pieter,

I set the 'export_password' attribute in the csentry with the initial password, such as the C# provisioning code:

• csentry["export_password"].StringValue = mventry["birthDate"].StringValue;

What you also need to do is set the OLSync MA connection information for the password extension using the same MA connection information. Go to the 'Configured Extensions' tab and set the password extension information.

Regards

David

Thursday, November 1, 2012 4:09 AM
  • Hi,

There is a parameter that can be set using OLSync solution -

Open the Hosted MA and from the Configure Additional Parameters add a parameter named MVInitialPasswordAttributeName where the Value is the Metaverse attribute that hold the initial password.

The result will be that any newly user will be provisioned with the initial password set in the Metaverse.

Patrick.

Patrick Layani

Monday, November 5, 2012 11:53 PM
  • Hi Patrick,

I have tried this approach but not seems to be working in my case. Could you please confirm on below two points -

Q1> In my case i don't see option 'Configure Additional Parameters', there is a option 'Configure Global Parameters'.

Q2> I have mapped MVInitialPasswordAttributeName  with 'CustomAttribute15' in MV in 'Configure Global Parameters'.

After Export, in password.xml, it showing following output, but end user is not able to log in with initial password in CustomAttribute15.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <PasswordEntries>
      <PasswordEntry WindowsLiveId="ade@ZZZZ.edu" Password="Refer to the value of Metaverse property 'CustomAttribute15' for this recipient." TimeStamp="12/21/2012 14:41:18" />
    </PasswordEntries>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 6:59 PM
  • Hi,

Configuring MVInitialPasswordAttributeName parameter match for OLSync version of Management Agent (OLMA).

It's look like that you are using another version of Management Agent.

Can you reply the "Name" and "Type" of the Management.

Patrick Layani

Tuesday, January 1, 2013 9:14 PM