Possible bug, desktop gadgets slowly eat all memory RRS feed

• Question

• I'm at a loss how to get this to MS without paying a support fee just to report a possible bug to them.

If you run any desktop gadget, and it regularly updates its display, like the clock gadget with the second hand turned on, it eats maybe 100 more bytes every few seconds. Over the course of a few days of running it eventually consumes most of memory. I can see this in Resouce Monitor looking at Sidebar.exe (what all gadgets apparently run under) as Private memory gradually growing. (It does some bouncing up and down but overall gradually goes up.) It does not give this back when other apps need space. I've confirmed this on another system with a clean setup. This didn't used to happen. Just started recently, maybe after an update, not sure.

I don't find any online info about this and the non-technet support forums were a dead end. Where do I go from here with this?

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Sunday, April 24, 2011 7:40 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 3:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Njem,

Thanks for the post!

You can submit feedback to Product Feedback Team: http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%20%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Thursday, April 28, 2011 9:24 AM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 7:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Njem,

Thanks for the post!

You can submit feedback to Product Feedback Team: http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%20%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Thursday, April 28, 2011 9:24 AM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 7:58 AM
  • Njem.

I concur.  Have a Windows 7 Pro workstation running VMWare Player acting as host for several virtual machines.  I was using gadgets as a means to monitor CPU/Memory/Drive/Network and UPS and in searching for where all the RAM was being consumed discovered that SideBar.exe eats memory and a slow but constant rate consitent with your findings.

Monday, November 7, 2011 9:03 PM
  • Same as this?

The Case of the Frozen Clock Gadget

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2007/10/15/2178879.aspx

• Edited by JS2010 Monday, November 7, 2011 10:09 PM
    Monday, November 7, 2011 10:09 PM