none
Enterprise mode Site list RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know if the site list for enterprise mode is affected by offline files or having IE set to check for newer versions of web pages automatically (when the sitelist.xml is hosted on an HTTP server)?
    Wednesday, December 9, 2015 11:25 PM

Answers

• I figured out that if you use HTTP (strongly recommended by microsoft) then odd things start to happen. i think this is because of internet explorer page caching. we switched to a UNC path and everything started working perfectly. 
    • Marked as answer by Jaybird283 Saturday, December 12, 2015 5:13 PM
    Saturday, December 12, 2015 5:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Jaybrid,

Thank you for your question.

As I concerned, the site list for Enterprise mode didn’t affect the offline files. 

Approximately 65 seconds after Internet Explorer starts, it looks for a properly formatted site list. If a new site list if found, with a different version number than the active list, IE loads and uses the newer version. After the initial check, IE won’t look for an updated list again until you restart the browser.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 10, 2015 10:00 AM
  • Thanks. we have seen some odd behavior where some machines get the new file after the 65 second wait, but others are not getting it (even after a reboot). what we found is that we can enter the full URL to the site list (just as its configured in the policy (ie. http://servername/sitelist.xml) into the browser and it shows the old version! we can't explain this behavior. what we noticed though is that we can hit the refresh button in IE and it then shows the new file. then we can re-launch the browser (again) and then enterprise mode downloads the latest version. this makes me wonder if IE is caching the "page" and not updating automatically. could the policy be using website caching since the sitelist.xml is hosted on a http site? i wonder if we switched to a traditional file share if this would still happen. i should mention that the url is load balanced but we made sure the latest file is on both servers. 
    Thursday, December 10, 2015 6:05 PM
  • I figured out that if you use HTTP (strongly recommended by microsoft) then odd things start to happen. i think this is because of internet explorer page caching. we switched to a UNC path and everything started working perfectly. 
    • Marked as answer by Jaybird283 Saturday, December 12, 2015 5:13 PM
    Saturday, December 12, 2015 5:13 PM