IE and Three MS Office 2010 Desktop Icons Revert to Default Windows Icons After Expression Web 4 (Studio Professional 4) Install RRS feed

• Question

• New computer, Dell Inspiron 580 with an i3 processor, 6GB memory, Windows 7 64-bit and Office Professional 2010 pre-installed (well, the latter installed/activated via the Key provided by Dell).  All software most recent versions with Microsoft Updates installed.  Last night purchased the Expression_StudioPro_4_English.exe download from the Microsoft Canada Store, a $109 upgrade price because of Office.  Used the Run As Adminstrator option to Install.  Tested the applications just to see if they started up and they did.  Chose to make Expression Web 4 the Default HTML Editor when prompted (perhaps this contributed to the subsequent problem).

The first desktop icon that I noticed reverted was Internet Explorer 64-bit.  Then noticed three others (though they may have happened at the same time) from among the Office 2010 programs: PowerPoint, Publisher and OneNote.  The mini-versions of these four icons on the Start Menu also reverted to the Default Windows Icon.  The 32-bit Internet Explorer remains the familiar "e" icon and Word, Excel and all the other desktop icons are okay.  The Computer icon looks different from what I remember -- not the workstation icon from previous Windows versions -- but isn't the default windows icon so it may not have changed at all.

Checking for similar problems I did run across this from several years ago:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/185217

The cause there was described as "This behavior can occur if you install, and then uninstall a program that has the capability of changing these desktop icons. If you uninstall this type of program, the icon files that are associated with these icons may no longer be present on your computer, and the desktop icons may revert to the default Windows icon."  No uninstall was done here, but perhaps the selection of Expression Web 4 as the default html editor did it?  Maybe that effectively "uninstalled" the default html editor the affected programs were otherwise using, triggering the reversion.  If the Win 7 desktop and its icons are essentially rendered as a html web page or close, and Expression Web 4 has the "capability of changing these desktop icons" that might explain it.

I tried the obvious solution of deleting the four default icons and then a right click "Send To" recreation of those desktop icons, but it doesn't work.  Again the icons had reverted on the start menu as well, so it's like the original icons got deleted and just aren't there anymore perhaps, or aren't accessible.  For the IE icon, I tried changing the Internet Options - Programs default HTML editor from Expression Web 4 to each of the other options (except Excel), restarting the computer after each but that doesn't work for the IE icon.  The three Office icons affected are curiously graphics and therefore more web-related perhaps (PowerPoint and Publisher at least, along with IE), so again it seems the Expression Web 4 install is what did this.  I also attempted to re-install IE 8 after copying/saving Favorites, but the MS IE8 download site just says it's already installed with Windows 7 and I didn't try to get around that.  I guess I could completely reinstall Win 7 using the Dell reinstall disc, and also reinstall Office 2010 using the Key, but it seems a lot of work just to get these four icons back.  It doesn't seem like any program functionality is affected, though I haven't really looked and other things showing up is a concern I guess.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  Also, if a Microsoft Update/Fix is appropriate here, is there another forum or addy, etc., that I should send this to?

Thursday, July 8, 2010 8:18 AM

Answers

• Please follow the steps below to rebuild icon cache

1. Click Start, and open Computer.
    2. On the Tool bar, click Organize and choose Folder and Search Options.
    3. Click the View tab, and check to select the Show hidden files and folders option, and click OK.
    4. Then, enter the following directory:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local

5. Find the IconCache.db file, and rename it as IconCache.db.old.
    6. Close the window, and restart the computer.

If the icon is still incorrect, please manually change the icons for the problematic icons. Then re-log on and check if the issue is resolved.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, July 16, 2010 8:47 AM
    Monday, July 12, 2010 8:40 AM

All replies

• After posting here I also tried the Expression forums and that did yield a fix for the three Office 2010 Program Icons -- running the Office Repair function.  Here's the link to the thread:

http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/web/thread/66bf99d0-4c56-45bb-b0d8-2ffe433113a6?

And here was my response to the poster who'd suggested it.  (Still hoping for a suggested fix on the IE 64-bit icon as I mention at the end here, so anyone on this forum let me know if you have an equivalent solution, other than a full operating system reinstall.)

"Yep, that worked for the three Microsoft Office Program Icons at least.  Just for the record on how it was fixed:

Click Control Panel

Click Programs and Features

Select Microsoft Office Professional 2010

Click "Change" (not Uninstall)

Click Repair

It takes a while (maybe 5 minutes), then restart

The Default Windows Icons were still there on the Desktop for the three programs (PowerPoint, Publisher and OneNote), but the miniature versions were correct on the Start Menu.  So deleting the Desktop icons and then right-clicking "Send To" to create a new desktop icon for each worked.

Now, what about the IE 64-bit Desktop Icon?  The Programs and Features list doesn't include IE because it's part of the Windows 7 (and prior) operating system.  Is there a similar repair function for IE or Windows 7 and how is it accessed?"

Thursday, July 8, 2010 1:34 PM
  • As I posted on the other forum just now after researching the problem a bit more:

"Okay, this simple workaround fixed the IE Icon:

Right-click the desktop IE icon (same procedure for the Start Menu IE icon)

Select Properties

Click "Change Icon"

Select one of the traditional "e" icons if that's what you want

Click "OK" and again "OK" to exit

That fixes it in each case, removing the Windows default icon in favor of the "e" icon."

Thursday, July 8, 2010 2:20 PM
  • Please follow the steps below to rebuild icon cache

1. Click Start, and open Computer.
    2. On the Tool bar, click Organize and choose Folder and Search Options.
    3. Click the View tab, and check to select the Show hidden files and folders option, and click OK.
    4. Then, enter the following directory:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local

5. Find the IconCache.db file, and rename it as IconCache.db.old.
    6. Close the window, and restart the computer.

If the icon is still incorrect, please manually change the icons for the problematic icons. Then re-log on and check if the issue is resolved.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, July 16, 2010 8:47 AM
    Monday, July 12, 2010 8:40 AM