Dual Display & Windows 7 RTM RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 and Dual Displays

I use dual display every day with my laptop. In work my laptop hooks up to an external Dell monitor. The laptop LCD is the primary display, and external Dell monitor is secondary. I plug in the monitor  each morning, plug out each evening and go home. When I'm at home and turn on the laptop, each application I open that was used on the secondary display when I shut down don't appear. They open but are stuck at the seconday display co-ordinates. This happens every time I go home, I must hover over the app in the taskbar, right click and click Maximize. This will then restore the window to the primary display.

My point, is this a bug, Windows is displaying an application in desktop space that doesn't exist.

Also my desktop icons move around on my primary display, after disconnection from monitor. This is even though there are no icons placed on the external monitor.

Another issue is the desktop wallpaper, but that's a feature request to have a different wallpaper on each screen.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 9:43 PM

All replies

• I use dual displays all day long, I also use them with VM's. This has been an issue as far back as I can remember. Its especially tedious if you lose the screen properties page on the other display, and are unable to access it.  Windows should bring the apps back to the main screen, but unfortunately this is not the case.

as far as the desktop wallpapers, Ive always dreamed of using one wallpaper (widescreen) and stretching it to the other screen. I do like your idea of one per screen.

Hope this helps.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 12:57 PM