Quick Launch toolbar not appearing RRS feed

• Question

• I am at a loss here. I am currently a tech within a single scope domain with Server 2003 servers and Vista PCs. We have folder redirection applied for each user to a user specific shared folder on a file/printer server.

Some users are unable to display the Quick Launch toolbar while other users, within the same Active Directory group, are able to. The option is not grayed out when trying to add the toolbar to the task bar. Group policy has not been setup to disable the toolbar either. I have created a brand new user in AD and upon first log in, this newly created user (test account) cannot enable the toolbar.

I would like to get some ideas on how to get this issue resolved.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 11:05 PM

All replies

• Anyone find out?

I seem to have a similar problem (but than with XP desktops).

Monday, April 14, 2008 10:48 AM
  • I have the same problem with XP recently.

I reset to show the quick launch, after reboot, it is gone again.

Please help.

Friday, April 18, 2008 11:15 PM
  • Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I have this problem with new users as well on my terminal servers all of a sudden.

Friday, April 25, 2008 10:15 PM
  • I guess I am another one, Windows XP here, I was just alerted to the fact that one of my users is having an issue with the Quick Launch toolbar not showing up on restart. I just wanted to add that I checked the registry value for policies and it is not set at this time (actually no entry).

NoSaveSettings
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Data type Range Default value
    REG_DWORD 1 0

Monday, July 21, 2008 2:04 PM
  • One of the solution from other thread is that : - log off the user and log back in again.  This will  correct the lauch bar problem.  This work for me.

Monday, July 21, 2008 3:58 PM
  • Right-click Taskbar, Left-click Properties

Put Check-Mark in "Show Quick Launch"

Click "Apply"

Click "OK"

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 7:48 PM
  • When right-click is disabled by permissions you can use toggQL.exe pointed to in a vbscript logon script.
    This works for server 2003 and XP (doesn't seem to work with server 2008)
    eg
    'ensure Quick Launch is available for Users who have been barred
    'from using context menus
    Option Explicit
    Dim objShell
    Dim intRun
    Dim strPath

WScript.Sleep (1000) 'needs time else doesn't load QL

strPath = "\\<serverName>\path\toggleQL.exe"
    'UNC path to toggleQL.exe on server
    'toggleQL 1 adds QL to taskbar, .. 0 removes it

Set objShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

intRun = objShell.Run ("cmd.exe /c " & strPath & " 1", 0, True)

I had great difficulty finding toggleQL.exe so you can download it from my website at www.carbootsRus.com/downloads/

Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:45 PM
  • Make sure "do not display any custom toolbars in taskbar" policy is not enabled

"This setting affects the taskbar.

The taskbar includes the Start button, buttons for currently running tasks, custom toolbars, the notification area, and the system clock. Toolbars include Quick Launch, Address, Links, Desktop, and other custom toolbars created by the user or by an application.

If this setting is enabled, the taskbar does not display any custom toolbars, and the user cannot add any custom toolbars to the taskbar. Moreover, the "Toolbars" menu command and submenu are removed from the context menu. The taskbar displays only the Start button, taskbar buttons, the notification area, and the system clock.

If this setting is disabled or is not configured, the taskbar displays all toolbars. Users can add or remove custom toolbars, and the "Toolbars" command appears in the context menu."

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:00 PM