dell inc.
    latitude e3400
    Optiplex 790
    etc.

In the rules.ini there is a line at the bottom: 

[Dell Inc.]
    DriverGroup001=Windows 7 x86\%Make%\%Model%
    DriverSelectionProfile=nothing

This works fine, when new hardware arrives i make a new folder in out-of-box-drivers and import the cabinet drivers.

I don't do anything with Task sequence regarding to drivers.

Challenge is now i musts deploy new operating systems like Windows 8.1 to tablets and laptops. Is it this simple that i add a drivergroup002 to the customsettings.ini and make the folderstructure like:
    out-of-box-drivers
    Windows 8.1 x64
    dell inc.
    latitude e3400
    Optiplex 790
    etc.

Windows 8.1 x86
    dell inc.
    latitude e3400
    Optiplex 790
    etc.

And this in the customsettings.ini?:

[Dell Inc.]
    DriverGroup001=Windows 7 x86\%Make%\%Model%
    DriverGroup002=Windows 8 x64\%Make%\%Model%

DriverGroup002=Windows 8 x86\%Make%\%Model%

Is above the right thing to do, How does MDT knows which drivergroup (001 - 002 - 003) to use?

I have read several manners for drivers integration but the most work with task sequences together with driver groups or selection profiles but drivergroups when this works like above is a one time job because i do not have to edit the TS every time..

And must there be seperate deploymentshares for 32 bit operating systems and 64 bit operating systems? I now have 4 shares (2 captureshares and 2 deploymentshares 32 and 64 bit)

freddie

• Edited by surfer10 Wednesday, July 8, 2015 2:03 PM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2015 2:02 PM

All replies

• You can have one DS with both 32 and 64 bit task sequences. That's not an issue. Your driver group variable should be set within the task sequence since you will have a different TS for each platform.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Proposed as answer by JoeZeppy Wednesday, July 8, 2015 5:11 PM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2015 4:44 PM
  • And i can use drivergroup001 for every task sequence drivergroup001 only with different variable?

One ts with drivergroup001 for Windows 7 x86 and one ts with drivergroup001 x64 (that does not has to be drivergroup002)?

freddie

Friday, July 10, 2015 1:40 PM
  • I've been doing that for years without any problems.

You can ignore my variables. I'm using a custom exit script, you can stick to the %Make%\%Model%

Friday, July 10, 2015 3:05 PM
  • Ok solved so i can use Drivergroup001 for every operting system in different TS.

And there is nothing i have to do within the customsettings anymore, so the above line can be: default, and no more drivergroup in the customini because that was only for one operating system.

freddie

Sunday, July 12, 2015 11:02 AM
  • You can drop the driver selection from the customsettings file and specify that in the task sequence as well.

Don't forget to mark this as answered. Thanks!

Monday, July 13, 2015 6:49 PM