Autogenerated messages that webservices.dll is not allowed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Sorry for a lack of detail but I'm not sure what to look at for this.

I'm working with a user who keeps getting an auto-generated email message that's he's not allowed to save webservices.dll to his network drive. He's not trying to save anything and DLLs aren't supposed to be saved in that location, it's blocked by company policy. But we don't know why he's getting these messages.

He has Outlook 2010 but the company should be on 2016, he must have not gotten the push to upgrade it. Could that be related?

Chris Hansen

• Moved by Perry-Pan Tuesday, October 8, 2019 4:41 AM
    Monday, October 7, 2019 6:10 PM

Answers

• Hi Chris,

>>a user who keeps getting an auto-generated email message that's he's not allowed to save webservices.dll to his network drive.

Does he receive an email or get a pop-up warning in Outlook client?

Try exiting Outlook client and directly test this issue via web mail to see if issue can be reproduced.

From the error message, it seems that Outlook client is automatically saving this file to the network drive. I'd like to recommend you check following suggestions:

1. Safe mode

Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /safe and then press Enter. This helps eliminate whether the problem lies on any third party add-ins.

2. A new profile

In case it was related with some corrupted settings, test this issue in a new profile:

Open Control Panel > Mail > Show Profiles > Add. Follow the instruction to re-configure his account.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, October 14, 2019 2:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by The Hansenator Tuesday, October 15, 2019 12:05 PM
    Tuesday, October 8, 2019 3:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

>>a user who keeps getting an auto-generated email message that's he's not allowed to save webservices.dll to his network drive.

Does he receive an email or get a pop-up warning in Outlook client?

Try exiting Outlook client and directly test this issue via web mail to see if issue can be reproduced.

From the error message, it seems that Outlook client is automatically saving this file to the network drive. I'd like to recommend you check following suggestions:

1. Safe mode

Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /safe and then press Enter. This helps eliminate whether the problem lies on any third party add-ins.

2. A new profile

In case it was related with some corrupted settings, test this issue in a new profile:

Open Control Panel > Mail > Show Profiles > Add. Follow the instruction to re-configure his account.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, October 14, 2019 2:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by The Hansenator Tuesday, October 15, 2019 12:05 PM
    Tuesday, October 8, 2019 3:15 AM
  • Thanks for the tips. I'm trying to contact the user and will report back if that works.

Chris Hansen

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 1:52 PM
  • Thanks for the tips. I'm trying to contact the user and will report back if that works.

Chris Hansen

No problem. If there are any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Thursday, October 10, 2019 1:05 AM
  • Hi Chris,

I'm pleased to know that the information is helpful to you. Here I will provide a brief summary for your information:

[Issue Symptiom]

====================

A user who keeps getting an auto-generated email message that's he's not allowed to save webservices.dll to his network drive.

[Possible Cause]

====================

• Third-party add-in is interrupting Outlook client.
    • Corrupted settings in the profile

[Solution]

====================

Start Outlook in Safe mode

Create a new profile

• Edited by Perry-Pan Friday, October 25, 2019 8:33 AM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2019 5:38 AM