Vista Business install - computer shuts down after reboot RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install Windows Vista Business on an HP Pavilion dv5000.  It passes the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor with nothing but minor warnings.

The install gets past the point of entering the Product Key and selecting a clean install.  I see it finish up copying and extracting files, then the system automatically reboots.

It goes into setup again, displays the black screen with Microsoft Corporation and the status bar.  Then after a few seconds, I get a mouse pointer on a black screen.  Very quickly, the PC just shuts down.   I've seen other comments about it hanging at a black screen, but this seems a bit more than that.

Any ideas?
    Thursday, February 1, 2007 7:19 PM

All replies

• I am having the same problem that you were having.  However, I have been unable to find the answer to the problem.  In another thread, you stated that you found the problem and were able to correct it.  If you should share this answer with me, I would greately appreciate it.  I spent 6 hours on the phone with customer support yesterday, and they couldn't figure out the problem.

thanks

Zax
    Friday, February 2, 2007 6:29 PM
  • In another topic you mentioned finding the solution to this issue.  That was a few days ago.  Why haven't you shared the solution?
    Monday, February 5, 2007 2:34 AM
  • ...because he doesn't really have one
    Thursday, February 8, 2007 9:56 AM
  • finally got my vista premium to work.
    recieved a patch from MS and the installation is fixed!
    A patch we had to burn on a copy of the orginal dvd and the boot loop never came up again. A sofware failure they called it but after we used that file it worked just fine on all our 5 computer we had problems with. even my friends computer started with it.
    Thursday, February 8, 2007 11:33 AM
  •  That's great Tony.  From your previous posts, I thought you'd already got your Vista installation to work by removing the monitor cable, at least that's what you typed.

How would this patch relate to the issue in this topic? Is it something you put in place to prevent this issue, as well as the issues in different topics you posted this revelation to?  If so, how?  Do you copy it to the hard drive prior to running setup?

Do you have a MS technical support document ID, or link, that provides a bit more detail on this 'patch' you mentioned?  How did they 'send' it to you?  I would imagine a 'patch' that allows previously troublesome installations to move forward would be well documented at MS Support.

Thanks!

bobass wrote:
    finally got my vista premium to work.
    recieved a patch from MS and the installation is fixed!
    A patch we had to burn on a copy of the orginal dvd and the boot loop never came up again. A sofware failure they called it but after we used that file it worked just fine on all our 5 computer we had problems with. even my friends computer started with it.

Thursday, February 8, 2007 11:50 AM
  • i had this problem got mine running though i have 2 ide hard drives and a sata hard drive i tried for hours installing any way i could tried formating all the disks a few times with different software i tried all night then went to bed got up next day and removed the sata hard drive tried a clean install again and it went 1st try without a problem
    Sunday, February 11, 2007 4:28 PM
  • I got it!!

To remember you, I have a Dell Inspiron 6400, Vista Home Premium on a partition and XP on the other. The problem was that the laptop rebooted after I unplugged the power on Vista.

I read on a thread that it was a problem with the graphic card (ATI mobility x1400) but it didn't say what to do.

Then I found out it was a voltage problem. I did not knwo how to change the power of the pci-e, but I went to the Power Management, then Modify the settings of your current normal mode, then Modify Advanced Power Settings, and I changed a couple of things. I can not guaranty wich one effected the effect of the rebbot, but I changed, all for laptop mode:

PCI-Express: power management of link state (not sure of the name but it is the only modification possible) from Maximal Power Savings to Modarate Power Saving

ATI Graphics Power settings: Ati Powerplay Settings: On battery: modify from Optimal Battery Life to Balanced

That's it!!! I worked for me. I am now on Vista on the battery of my  laptop, wich never happend before.

Please note that my Vista OS is in french, so the terms may not be exact as I described.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 3:38 PM