none
Send connector for specific email domain

Question

• We are changing from one email gateway provider to another (both on premises, as is our Exchange 2013 setup). As part of this we need to ensure the reputation of the new gateway/IP addresses is built up before we switch to everything using the new gateway.

I know I can create a send connector with scoping for a specific domain or domains, but as our current send connector is just set for * I am not sure what format I need to use.

If, for example, I am going to use yahoo for this what do I need to enter in the address space? Can I use *.yahoo.com or does it need to be the yahoo mail server address (which is pretty much impossible to find for this purpose)

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 5:19 PM

Answers

• If you're referring to subdomains for yahoo, then *.yahoo.com would be appropriate.  If you're just talking about *@yahoo.com addresses, just specify yahoo.com.  When you have two connectors, one with AddressSpaces of "*" and the other with "yahoo.com", the more specific connector will be chosen.  Therefore, mail sent to *@yahoo.com will use the connector with "yahoo.com" specified since it's more specific than "*".

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 11:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The "*" indicates that the Send connector applies to messages addressed to all external domains.
    Thus, if you want to create a sender connector for special domain, we can add the recipient’s domain name in Address space (for example: yahoo.com or "*.yahoo.com" if include all subdomains).

More details, for your reference:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj839710(v=exchg.141).aspx

Regards,

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 4, 2017 9:19 AM
  • If you're referring to subdomains for yahoo, then *.yahoo.com would be appropriate.  If you're just talking about *@yahoo.com addresses, just specify yahoo.com.  When you have two connectors, one with AddressSpaces of "*" and the other with "yahoo.com", the more specific connector will be chosen.  Therefore, mail sent to *@yahoo.com will use the connector with "yahoo.com" specified since it's more specific than "*".

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 11:53 PM

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks Ed
    Friday, July 7, 2017 8:59 PM
  • You're welcome.  Happy to have helped.

Friday, July 7, 2017 9:06 PM