none
Can I set email to truly disappear and eliminate on recipient's outlook once it was expired

Question

• Hi,

In same Exchange, can I set email to truly disappear and eliminate on recipient's outlook once it was expired, even the subject line cannot be seen and found fm outlook anymore?

Regards

Elvis

Monday, October 26, 2015 2:05 AM

Answers

• As far as I know, there's no way for Exchange or Outlook to do that.  You could code a script that uses Exchange Web Services to do that, though.  It isn't the kind of one-liner that you can expect to get for free from a forum like this; you'll likely have to contract with someone to develop it if you don't have the time or skills to do it yourself.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 4:00 PM

All replies

• I don't know any way to do that.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Monday, October 26, 2015 5:40 AM
  • Hi Elvistj,

As a admin you have some options retention policies etc. . But as an end user sending email to someone else you can't easily. You might have a chance if you use IRM protection.

Set an expiration date for a message

Even though it is not an IRM feature in Office Outlook 2007, you might want to set an expiration date for the new message so that its content can no longer be viewed after a specified period of time.

Not sure about the subject, though.

IRM helps to do the following:

Support expiration of IRM-protected messages and attachments so they can no longer be viewed after the specified period.

IRM in Exchange 2013

Regards,

Satyajit

Please“Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “MarkAs Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Edited by Satyajit321 Monday, October 26, 2015 6:40 AM
    Monday, October 26, 2015 6:32 AM
  • Hi,

If you want to remove a particular email from users' mailboxes, you can follow the instructions here: http://markgossa.blogspot.com/2015/10/exchange-20102013-delete-virus-email.html.

Thanks.

Please mark as an answer if this answers your question

Mark Gossa

MCSE 2003, MCITP Enterprise Administrator 2008 R2, MCSA 2012 R2, MCTS Exchange 2010, MCTS SQL 2012, MCTS SharePoint 2007, VCP4, VCP5, CCNA

Blog: http://markgossa.blogspot.com LinkedIn:

Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

• Proposed as answer by Mark Gossa Tuesday, October 27, 2015 1:15 PM
    Monday, October 26, 2015 1:52 PM
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but IRM won't remove a message from a mailbox, it'll just make it so that it can't be read after the expiry date.

Monday, October 26, 2015 3:50 PM
  • Yes exactly! IRM just can make it unreadable but not remove it.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2015 1:59 AM
  • Hello Elvistj

Yes you can use search feature to search an item in the mailbox and delete it if needed. use the below powershell. You need Discovery management role rights to run this.

Get-Mailbox –ResultSize Unlimited | Search-Mailbox -TargetMailbox "Target Mailbox Email" -TargetFolder “Folder Name in Target Mailbox” -SearchQuery {Kind:"Meeting" AND From:"Sender Display Name"} -DeleteContent -LogLevel Full

PREM RANA MCSE Exchange 2013, MCSA 2012 Server MCTS Exchange 2007,2010, MCITP Exchange 2007,2010 MCSE 2003 Server, MCSA Exchange 2003 ITIL V3 Foundation https://ranaprem.wordpress.com/ This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties,and confers no rights.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 4:05 AM
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but IRM won't remove a message from a mailbox, it'll just make it so that it can't be read after the expiry date.

Agreed.

Regards,

Satyajit

Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 3:55 AM
  • Hi Elvistj,

The question is, why would you want a non-admin user have control on other users's mailbox data. I haven't looked into  it much, but recall message tends to behave similarly sometimes.

The recipient remains clueless that any email came in and vanished.

The best you have is the IRM expiry, if you add admin then you can do more as discussed earlier.

Regards,

Satyajit

Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 3:59 AM
  • As far as I know, there's no way for Exchange or Outlook to do that.  You could code a script that uses Exchange Web Services to do that, though.  It isn't the kind of one-liner that you can expect to get for free from a forum like this; you'll likely have to contract with someone to develop it if you don't have the time or skills to do it yourself.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 4:00 PM