none
The User Profile (Administrator Account) Service failed to logon and then left with only Guest Account in Windows 7

Question

• Suddenly, the Windows 7 doesn't allow me to access my Admin Account and showing error msg (The User Profile Service service failed to Logon). I am left with only the Guest Account with limited access.

I tried copying the cmd.exe, using Fix It Program, login through Safe Mode but all didn't work.

Would anyone help pls?

HMK

Saturday, August 31, 2013 8:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Occasionally, Windows might not read your user profile correctly, such as if your antivirus software is scanning your computer while you try to log on.

Please try restarting your computer and logging on with your user account again.

If the issue still persists, please restart in safe mode to log on with the built-in administrator account:

1. Restart your computer and hit F8 multiples times until you see a menu-like screen, if you see the Windows splash screen then repeat this step

2. Highlight and hit enter on Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Try logging in there.

3. If you are able to login, once a command prompt pops up, type: net user administrator password /active:yes (you can specify whatever password you want for the administrator account.)

4. If you get a message saying "The command completed successfully", then restart your computer by typing: shutdown -r

5. Boot up again pressing F8, but this time choose just Safe Mode.

6. You will be able to login as Administrator with the password you set in Step 3.

Then try the following methods:

Method 1: Fix these user account profile on these computer

Method 2: Log on to Windows and copy your data to a new account

Method 3: Delete the error SID and create a new profile

For the detailed information, please refer to this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 2, 2013 8:37 AM

All replies

• Sorry I cannot help.  Having a similar problem with Windows 7 with the Security Log in screen appearing on a site (that never asked for this before!) showing a user account that was not designated by me.  Trying to use the "Another or guest" type log in doesn't work either.  I have no difficulty when I turn the laptop on and enter the usual password though. It is really frustrating.  I have no idea how to fix this.  Apparently this works on the university computers okay so it is not the log in details I am trying to use there.  They suggested I use Mozilla Firefox as there is no problems with that.  Not much help anywhere I am afraid.  I have sent a message to Microsoft asking for help and they emailed back with a link that although takes me to my question doesn't show any answer.  Am not having any fun with this at all.  Good luck with your problem though.

Monday, September 2, 2013 1:31 AM
  • Hi,

Occasionally, Windows might not read your user profile correctly, such as if your antivirus software is scanning your computer while you try to log on.

Please try restarting your computer and logging on with your user account again.

If the issue still persists, please restart in safe mode to log on with the built-in administrator account:

1. Restart your computer and hit F8 multiples times until you see a menu-like screen, if you see the Windows splash screen then repeat this step

2. Highlight and hit enter on Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Try logging in there.

3. If you are able to login, once a command prompt pops up, type: net user administrator password /active:yes (you can specify whatever password you want for the administrator account.)

4. If you get a message saying "The command completed successfully", then restart your computer by typing: shutdown -r

5. Boot up again pressing F8, but this time choose just Safe Mode.

6. You will be able to login as Administrator with the password you set in Step 3.

Then try the following methods:

Method 1: Fix these user account profile on these computer

Method 2: Log on to Windows and copy your data to a new account

Method 3: Delete the error SID and create a new profile

For the detailed information, please refer to this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 2, 2013 8:37 AM
  • Thank you for your response. Sorry it has taken so long to acknowledge. It looks like we may have resolved our problems though ... after all this time. Thank you though - Bye :o)

I don't have one.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 4:38 AM
  • Thank you for your response, which I appeared to have overlooked over time. It appears I can now log in to the account now. I did have to reset my password but no problems in doing so this time. Thank you again.

I don't have one.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 4:39 AM