Doesn't give a loud warning that an executable is no longer protected (Adobe Reader updated to ver 11) RRS feed

• General discussion

• Running EMET 4.1 on Win XP.
    I updated Adobe PDF Reader from version 9 to version 11.   When this happens, Adobe places the program's executable file in a different subdirectory than in the previous version.  The file name is the same, but the location is completely different (Adobe uses the version number as a subdirectory name).  EMET did not loudly warn me that AcroRd32.exe was no longer protected. 

It did mark that executable in italics to show that something was wrong. But I only noticed that because I deliberately went in to the protected apps screen to check.  There's no indication on EMET's home screen that a previously protected program is now unprotected. And there wasn't an easy right-click menu to modify the executable's path.  I had to delete, search, and re-add the Adobe executable.

Thursday, April 10, 2014 9:27 PM

All replies

• Use the Add Wildcard button to replace the version number in the path with *.

The Recommended Software profile in the Deployment folder has an entry which sets the path to

*\Adobe\Reader*\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

The Memprot mitigation should be disabled for Adobe Reader and Acrobat.

Thursday, April 10, 2014 10:24 PM