SSU update using WSUS not reflecting under Windows Update List RRS feed

• Question

• I am facing problem while I approve June 2020 monthly rollup along with remaining patches and SSU Update. I have noticed that if I approved Monthly rollup then SSU update is stopped reflecting in Windows update list. I have selected option 2 to select for download and install. As of now I am facing this problem in windows 2012 R2.

If I remove Monthly Rollup of June 2020 for windows 2012 R2, SSU update of 06-2020 KB4562253 start reporting under Windows Update and I can select it for download and install.

I have seen one forum which explain to approve this update first and then approve another updates but it wont help me because I have to finish patching in defined time line. Even I can not select day -1 as deadline, else it will start installing this KB forcefully without planned downtime / maintenance window.

Is there any fix required on windows 2012 R2?

As per log it is reflecting under total count but in GUI -> Control Panel -> Windows Update SSU is not listed in pending list.

Tuesday, June 23, 2020 7:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Mitesh,

Thanks for your posting on this forum.

I have noticed that if I approved Monthly rollup then SSU update is stopped reflecting in Windows update list.
    To avoid misunderstandings, please assist in confirming the description above. My understanding is that you approved the Monthly Rollup and SSU in the WSUS console, and the client displays only the Monthly Rollup. You delete the Monthly Rollup on the client and the SSU appears on the client. Is that right?

According to the official documentation, the installation Monthly Rollup is provided to install the SSU. The SSU is essential for installing other security updates. So, please consider installing the SSU before installing other updates.

Even I can not select day -1 as deadline, else it will start installing this KB forcefully without planned downtime / maintenance window.
    Also, how did you enable the setting -1 day deadline? Did you enable automatic approval rules on the WSUS?

If you have any updates about this issues, please keep us in touch.

Regards,
    Rita

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 24, 2020 3:17 AM
  • Hi Mitesh Parikh,

It seems there is no update for a couple of days. May we know the current status of the problem? Is there any other assistance we can provide?

If you have any questions, please keep us in touch.

Regards,
    Rita

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 29, 2020 2:16 AM
  • Hi

I have seen similar problem for July month released too.

I was unapproving the monthly rollup from WSUS console only. It seems some issue with product because once I approve monthly rollup, wsus clients stop reflecting SSU update for windows 2012 / 2012 R2.

I have not enabled automatic approval rule but as in WSUS there is option to select deadline. While testing I have enabled deadline by selecting yesterday date and it has immediately started installation ssu at client OS. But I can not use this workaround.

I hope I am not missing here because WSUS server role installed on windows 2016.

Thanks

Thursday, July 16, 2020 6:18 AM
  • Hi Mitesh Parikh,

Thanks for your response.

Whether your client can be connected to the Internet or not. If so, please consider checking online for updates from Microsoft Update.

Regards,
    Rita

"WSUS" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "WSUS" forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Friday, July 17, 2020 7:53 AM