none
DPM 2010 Mount Points Backup RRS feed

• Question

• according to Microsoft documentation regarding backing up mount points with DPM is not supported. however I am the kind of guy who has to see for himself to believe, so I went a head and created mount points on a 2003 server in the lab and tried backing them up about a week ago and they indeed failed to backup.

of course, I can hear you guys saying "Duh what's new there". so I tried backing the same mount point again today, and for whatever reason it worked and all mount point are InSync.

I am not complaining, but can anyone explain to me why is it not supported, and why did it work?

Thanks

Mohsen Almassud
    Friday, July 22, 2011 3:53 PM

Answers

• HI,

DPM will not "traverse" mount points located on a volume by itself, you need to explicitly select the mountpoint at the time of protection.

Given the following, if you protect just D: volume - DPM will not protect any data under the mountpointdir directory. However, you can navigate to the mountpointdir and protect it and DPM will recognize it as a separate volume and protect the data under the mountpoint.

D:\dir1\dir2\mountpointdir
                                  \\.\{volume}

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 22, 2011 6:11 PM

All replies

• HI,

DPM will not "traverse" mount points located on a volume by itself, you need to explicitly select the mountpoint at the time of protection.

Given the following, if you protect just D: volume - DPM will not protect any data under the mountpointdir directory. However, you can navigate to the mountpointdir and protect it and DPM will recognize it as a separate volume and protect the data under the mountpoint.

D:\dir1\dir2\mountpointdir
                                  \\.\{volume}

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 22, 2011 6:11 PM
  • that makes sense and that's how I exactly selected them for protection.

Thanks a lot Mike.

Mohsen Almassud
    Friday, July 22, 2011 6:22 PM