none
capture fail Code = 2147467259

Question

• MDT 2013 in place. Used for deployment of Windows 7 Entr only, for multiple models.

Capture is used 3-4 times per year. Using VM.

I got a urgent request for capturing a physical laptop. W7 OS is installed from Volume license. Few tweaks applied.

When capture get the error (see screamshot). Checked web - tons of posts for the error. 99% during deployment.

Found one about capture of Server 2012. And the guy resolved the error found in logs.

In my case the log is clean. May be I have to check something else?

To be sure of the server part I just captured clean VM. Works fine.

Any suggestion please.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 7:19 PM

Answers

• Apologies for the belated reply, sometimes customer engagements do take priority :)

I just went through the log files and while I can see the point of failure (which is different this time around), I am afraid I can't say how to proceed from here. Basically, MDT goes through its usual routine to find the boot drive and will attempt to map it to a drive letter using diskpart and this is the point where the deployment fails as diskpart complains that "No volume is specified". Why the command fails on this particular hardware model I can not say. There is yet another reason why the general rule of thumb is to build images on virtualized hardware. :)

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

• Marked as answer by pob579 Tuesday, June 12, 2018 6:52 PM
    Friday, May 25, 2018 7:50 AM

All replies

• Did you check all potential log locations? It might have been moved to the C:\WINDOWS\Temp\DeploymentLogs folder? Based on the summary, the error seems to be occuring during the Apply Windows PE stage and the root cause appears to be (my French is a bit rusty) an incorrect argument. So yeah, locating the log file is crucial to narrow your issue down...

Cheers,
    Anton

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 9:17 PM
  • Hi Anton,

here is a Depl Log files from the path you advised...

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Av7GxVRWTkZlgUuhYNi4KoTcww0c

I checked the bdd and see: For more information consult the task sequencer log ... \\SMSTS.LOG

Unfortunately, I don't have it in my Depl log folder...

May be other logs will help you to help me :)

Thanks!

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 1:13 PM
  • digged in a bit more and found smsts.lob in %userprofile% appdata local temp

so I uploaded it to other logs...

now will take a look, may be will find something before your input...

Thx.

• Edited by pob579 Wednesday, May 16, 2018 2:15 PM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 1:56 PM
  • After quickly going through the log files and the corresponding script files, I can't identify the underlying issue:

The LTIApply script is able to identify your boot drive via this code block:

Else 
    				oLogging.CreateEntry "Boot Drive not found, attempting recovery option (Win8+Sysprep scenario)...", LogTypeInfo

aDiskArray = Empty
    				on error resume next
    				aDiskArray = oUtility.BDDUtility.HiddenPartitionsToDrives
    				on error goto 0 

For each sCmd in aDiskArray
    					If ubound(split(sCmd,vbTab)) >= 7 then
    						If trim(split(sCmd,vbTab)(3)) = "1" then
    							oLogging.CreateEntry "Found Recovery option: " & sCmd, LogTypeInfo
    							sBootDrive = left(split(sCmd,vbTab)(7),2)
    							Exit for
    						End if
    					End if
    				Next

TestAndFail not isEmpty(sBootDrive), 5609, "Boot Drive was not found."
    			End if 

The next bit is where MDT will query your Boot folder and try to identify which LitetouchPE.wim file it should use:

' Determine which architecture of PE we should install

sDir = oEnvironment.Item("DeployRoot") & "\Boot\LiteTouchPE_" & sArchitecture & ".wim"
    TestAndFail oFSO.FileExists( sDir ), 5610, "Verify File: " & sDir 

Assuming the corresponding LiteTouchPE_X64.wim is present in the Boot folder, I would need to do some more digging.

I would also recommend upgrading MDT 2013 (6.2.5019.0) to a never release (Update 2 at the very least).

Cheers,
    Anton

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 2:20 PM
  • if upgrade is straightforward I can do it... but I prefer to make it after solving the issue.

Please provide the link to upgrade instructions.

For now I see that the very first error in smsts.log is related to Language.

Don't know where... In boot image or on local pc.

tsres.dll for locale 1036....   1036 is French-France.

Yes, I deploy French OS. We are using French Canada (that has subsets).

But the capture works for VM. Can I make a conclusion that the problem is in given PC ?

Just in case I will do one more capture of VM to prove that no probs with boot image.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 5:38 PM
  • Well, I am assuming your VMs are BIOS-based and you are trying to capture a system running a GPT (UEFI) partition layout as evident in your BDD.log:

Property IsUEFI is now = True

If memory serves me right, UEFI support in MDT 2013 was somewhat limited. We could take a look at your LTIApply.wsf script (I do not have an MDT 2013 installation here, so I have nothing to compare latest LTIApply script to, but I do believe that this script changed over the years), but from my point of view, the most evident way would be to upgrade to at least MDT 2013 Update 2, or, even better, straight to MDT 8450.

Johan Arwidmark wrote a nice step by step guide, which you could follow.

So yeah, these are the only two options I can think of...

Cheers,
    Anton

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 8:15 PM
  • Thanks Anton!

Will take a closer look to the upgrade...

Thursday, May 17, 2018 11:03 AM
  • Anton,

please take a look at LTIAplly...

may be we can solve the problem before I will go to upgrade option...

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Av7GxVRWTkZlgVjNFGl75eciDvOi

Thx.

Thursday, May 17, 2018 11:50 AM
  • I went through the code, but unfortunately, there isn't anything that jumps out. Then again, there are many moving parts involved - LTIApply makes calls into four different scripts: ZTIBCDUtility.vbs, ZTIConfigFile.vbs, ZTIDiskUtility.vbs and most importantly ZTIUtility.vbs. If I were in your shoes, I would make a backup of your current deployment share, perform a test upgrade and try again. If it still does not work, you can always go back to your original setup and if it does, then you can get on with your day...

Cheers,
    Anton

Thursday, May 17, 2018 8:27 PM
  • instead of upgrading configured MDT 2013 that serves W7 deployment (don't actually need W10) and have a chance to break what is work,

I am going to install new 2016 server with 8450. Finally, I need to capture W7 physical machine.

So, clean installation will show if my current server has an issue with capturing THIS physical machine. 

The good point is that I don't need any selection profiles. The machine has all drivers and etc.

Will let know. Hope that 8450 supports W7.

Anton, I understand that errors in smsts.log not pointed you to the right direction, you suspect that there are outdated scripts that may cause the prob. Correct?

Let me see 8450 live.

Friday, May 18, 2018 1:41 PM
  • Anton,

I installed fresh 8450 with latest ADK 1803 (after your pointing in ADK thread).

So I return to my goal point - capture a physical (i5) W7 pc.

What I did:

1. imported the OS W7 Entr (the same as pc for capture)

2. created capture TS (pointing to OS)

3. Capturing

It fails again on applying WinPe step, but goes further and generates different errors.

Just 2 instead of 8 :) seeing with my Original MDT.

Could you please take a look to Deployment Logs files of this brand new 8450 MDT.

I uploaded them here:

Thanks.

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 6:48 PM
  • sorry one point is WRONG and I must to redo:

1. imported the OS W7 Entr (the same as pc for capture)

I imported W7 Entr for capture task. But the pc prepared by a tech is W7 PRO (found it when wanted to compare the ISO that he used for initial installation. He insisted it was Entr. So I took his word for granted.

I will recreate the Capture TS using the ISO used for his reference deployment.

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 2:04 PM
  • Apologies for the belated reply, sometimes customer engagements do take priority :)

I just went through the log files and while I can see the point of failure (which is different this time around), I am afraid I can't say how to proceed from here. Basically, MDT goes through its usual routine to find the boot drive and will attempt to map it to a drive letter using diskpart and this is the point where the deployment fails as diskpart complains that "No volume is specified". Why the command fails on this particular hardware model I can not say. There is yet another reason why the general rule of thumb is to build images on virtualized hardware. :)

Cheers,
    Anton

• Marked as answer by pob579 Tuesday, June 12, 2018 6:52 PM
    Friday, May 25, 2018 7:50 AM
  • the tread becoming HUGE....

Steps taken:

1. after last suggestion for upgrading MDT2013 to latest because of the impossibility to find the problem.

I installed Fresh shiny  8450 with ADK 1803 on server 2016.

2. TESTS on 8450:

created W7 Pro capture task using the same OS source as on target Physical and Virtual machines.

a) VM capture was fine

b) laptop (HP640 G2 that is NEEDED pain in the neck) capture failed, exactly as on my original MDT2013.

Then to be sure that the failure of W7 capture really not related to OS installation and tweaking I installed Windows 10 latest fully patched.

c) tried captured W10 from laptop using new capture TS (with W10 source). The capture failed.

AT THIS POINT I made a conclusion that it is clearly Hardware issue - just not capturable.

d) following the conclusion at above I did another test for trying to confirm HP640 G2 NO CAPTURE option.

This time I took a modern HP pc and install Windows 10. 

The capture fail!  So it is second hardware that I cannot capture.

e) created W10 VM and capture fail with the same initial error code that I had on my MDT 2013 for W7.

At this point I am really confused.

I was able to capture W7 VM on new 8450 flawlessly. But not 10.

I collected all the logs. On pink screen in GUI the code of failure is the same from OLD MDT W7 capture and W10 on new 8450 (VM and Phisical).

Anton, I would like that you will take a look (if I do not abuse to much your time :) ) of the last LOGS from W10 VM captured from MDT8450. At least it could give more idea of what is going on.

Will provide a link later

Friday, May 25, 2018 6:57 PM
  • here is the link to logs of Win10 capture fail on 8450. As mentioned W7 Pro capture worked fine.

Friday, May 25, 2018 7:12 PM
  • I checked the W10 logs: looks like you are running into the usual Windows Store updates apps and fails to sysprep shebang:

Expected image state is IMAGE_STATE_GENERALIZE_RESEAL_TO_OOBE, actual image state is IMAGE_STATE_COMPLETE, sysprep did not succeed.

So it is unrelated. Check out Johan's article. Regarding Windows 7 I will have to get back to you later, I have a few things in mind we could try.

Cheers,
    Anton

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 8:09 AM
  • Could you try running following diskpart commands on a misbehaving Win 7 machine?

Select Disk 0 Select Partition 1 Assign
    Exit

Weirdly this is where diskpart and subsequently MDT error out.

Cheers,
    Anton

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 8:39 AM
  • Anton,

thanks for your input... hope we are close for finding a culprit. 

So, I  will not mention in this thread W10 anymore. As you pointed capture failure is well known on 10 because of App store. I checked Johan's post...

He added an update that states:

Update: Seems like setting HideShell=YES in cs.ini also prevents apps from coming down. Of course that also stops you from doing anything interactive during the build and capture process, but hopefully you don’t need that once you nailed your task sequence. Big thanks to Roman Zuravljov for that tip.

I tried that line in cs.ini in hope for a quick fix. Sysprep was applied and comp restarted. But after reboot came logon box with the message: incorrect password. Not sure why... In capture task I entered the same admin pass as in on source pc. 

At least there is some path for fixing 10 capture.

What we know for sure now that my MDTs - old 2013 and 8450 are fine as I can capture W7 VM without probs.

I have to do couple of other tests with Acronis. The time pressing to provide first 5 machines. 200 are awaiting. So I want my MDT. Will do what you asked on W7. 

Thanks again.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 11:40 PM
  • Hi,

compared partitions on 2 HP640 that I am working on.
    One deployed from MDT and one that I am trying to capture (manual installation).

1. on the deployed from MDT - 2 partitions

2. on the installed clean (not me who installed) for capture - 3 partitions.

On the partition 1 that you ask to run assign 2 volumes...

I guess this partition is the sh... Any idea?

I will try to wipe again the disk and restore given Acronis image of the OS that I am trying to capture and check... When restore from Acronis image from USB given. I actually see 3 partitions to restore (one is MBR).

For some reason cannot insert screenshots here, so check the link:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Av7GxVRWTkZlgXVwre7LYY3QE6CG

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 3:00 PM
  • Hi,

compared partitions on 2 HP640 that I am working on.
    One deployed from MDT and one that I am trying to capture (manual installation).

1. on the deployed from MDT - 2 partitions

2. on the installed clean (not me who installed) for capture - 3 partitions.

On the partition 1 that you ask to run assign 2 volumes...

I guess this partition is the sh... Any idea?

I will try to wipe again the disk and restore given Acronis image of the OS that I am trying to capture and check... When restore from Acronis image from USB given. I actually see 3 partitions to restore (one is MBR).

• Edited by pob579 Wednesday, May 30, 2018 5:33 PM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2018 3:00 PM
  • SOME progress!

Based on previous finding 2 partitions vs 3...

I restored the physical mashine from Acronis skipping MBR partition restore.

The result. Windows properly booted up. And diskpart showed 2 partitions.

At this point I thought that the problem found.

Started the capture. Apply WinPe went well. No errors now.

But computer just stays on Sysprep plug-ins treatment and not restarts.

See please the PIC and the LOGS

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Av7GxVRWTkZlgXVwre7LYY3QE6CG

• Edited by pob579 Thursday, May 31, 2018 10:56 PM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2018 5:42 PM
  • I came to the conclusion that further troubleshooting the capture of "unknown" to me W7 installation not make sense. And brought 2 solutions to requesters:

1. I sysprepped the windows and proposed to deploy with Acronis.

2. to use my clean W7 image from MDT and add manually the necessary tweaks (I quickly checked and there are not really too many things.

Also, explained the situation around the physical capture.

I want to thank Anton for his help.

He pointed me to the potential problem during WinPE Apply.

And I identified 3rd buggy partition.

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 6:51 PM