Windows 10 Enterprise Evaluation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I downloaded the 90 day trial of Windows 10 Enterprise and tried to activate against the KMS server at my work.  While trying to activate it succeeds but, it appear to only activate the 90 day trial and not against the KMS servers at my work.  Even if I specify the server it doesn't hit it.  I've been using this image for a few months now and haven't noticed any issues until today, usually I wait a period of time(~1hr) and the system activates on its own and the warning message about Windows being a trial disappears.  

Please advise on how I can resolve this as Microsoft shouldn't be advertising a trial of Enterprise if it cannot be activated against KMS or using MAK.

Thanks,Aron

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 8:02 PM

All replies

• Two things:

• Ensure your KMS Host key is licensed for Enterprise.  Maybe it's only licensed for Professional.
    • On the client, replace the trial key with the correct KMS client key by typing these commands from an administrative command prompt:

cscript.exe //nologo %systemroot%\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk NPPR9-FWDCX-D2C8J-H872K-2YT43

cscript.exe //nologo %systemroot%\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato

Note: It's possible that the trial edition cannot be upgraded to a "real" client.  If so, then none of this will work.

Good luck

-Tony

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 12:10 AM
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.
    2. Enter one of the following commands.
      • To install a KMS key, type slmgr.vbs /ipk <KmsKey>.
      • To activate online, type slmgr.vbs /ato.
      • To activate by using the telephone, type slui.exe 4.
    3. After activating the KMS key, restart the Software Protection Service.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 12:13 AM
  • Hello,

This is eval media, this is not intended to be used in production.  Activation for Eval activates with the Microsoft Activation Servers, it is not intended to be used with KMS or MAK.

Since this media has expiration timers, we would not want Eval media to activate with KMS and suddenly expire.

KMS and MAK keys are intended to only be used in production environments

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Joy-Qiao Wednesday, May 2, 2018 8:11 AM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2018 12:13 AM
  • Hi Aron, 

Windows 10 Enterprise Evaluation is designed to test and address the issue which will occur in their complex environment on large organizations. After tested, we need to download Windows 10 Enterprise ISO image from Microsoft Volume License Service Center, and activate it with MAK or KMS product key.

For more information, please see: 

Download and burn an ISO file on the volume licensing site (VLSC)

Volume License Service Center

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Joy-Qiao Wednesday, May 2, 2018 8:11 AM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2018 8:10 AM