Learning SCE 2010 - a difficult adventure? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently downloaded the trial of SCE 2010 and being new to SCE I was looking forward to getting my hands on some good learning material.  I watched a short introductory video that showed me how there are links to videos right in the console that shows you how to do common tasks.  Wow...cool.  Then I install SCE (which was a headache).  I get in to the console and see I already have error alerts from the SCE server itself (which I don't understand).  For some reason the other computers in the OU I selected aren't showing up and by the looks of it I can't add my Hyper-V host (maybe until it's in a managed OU).

The worst part is none of the video links in the console actually work.  They all bring me to a generic technet videos page with no apparent videos on the page or anywhere to be found.  I remember the video I watched said to learn more I should visit www.microsoft.com/sce or visit the System Center Essentials page on Technet.  I've looked all over and I'm not finding much.  Much of the content is for version 2007 and much of it is for the System Center suite of apps not SCE specifically.  So I decide to look at the SCE learning plan on the Learning portal.  There isn't a single bit of content on there for E-Learning or anything else.  The only thing available is an instructor led 2-day course.  Ok so maybe I have to dish out some cash to attend a course.  So I look at attending a course and that course is not offered at my local training center.  Ok maybe I can buy a book or some training videos online.  Nope...nothing available.

Frustration is setting in already and I haven't even started using SCE.  Does it get better?  Does anyone know why the in-console videos don't work?  Is it because I'm using the trial?  Does anyone have any good learning resources they can point me to?  Aside from the Technet documentation (which isn't all that helpful for learning I find) I've found only one Introduction to SCE video which gives just a very general overview and then one video on the capabilities of virtualization in SCE.  Thanks in advance.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 1:34 PM

Answers

• A lot of the concepts and principals for sce 2007 carry over to 2010, so the 2007 videos will give a good starting point.  But regardless sce2010 does require some learning, research, asking questions, especially if you've never used it or sce2007 before.  Contrary to popular belief I've never used sce until 2010 was released so if anything, I'm living proof that it CAN be learned, just takes patience, and a few good backups. =)  That's what these forums are here for, to ask questions you have to better learn the product, and use it to its full potential.

Tim

Ok, so I changed my name...you can still call me Tom if you like. It's a...jump...to conclusions...mat.
    • Proposed as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, October 25, 2010 9:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, November 5, 2010 10:11 AM
    Friday, October 22, 2010 1:52 PM
  •  

Hi,

I would like to share the following documents with you for your reference:

System Center Essentials 2010 Product Documentation

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/systemcenter/ff723783.aspx

You can also get useful information in:

System Center Essentials Team Blog

http://blogs.technet.com/b/systemcenteressentials/

Regarding Virtualization in System Center Essentials 2010, please also see:

Introduction to Virtualization in System Center Essentials 2010

http://blogs.technet.com/b/systemcenteressentials/archive/2010/05/28/introduction-to-virtualization-in-system-center-essentials-2010.aspx

If you have any questions about System Center Essentials 2010, please also feel free to post it in our forums.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, October 25, 2010 10:47 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Nicholas, but that link is the same link we've been looking at throughout this thread.  It's an RSS-fed page with System Center product videos.  Today as I click the link I don't see a single video on there for Essentials.

The whole idea here is they included links in the Essentials console that were intended to point to very specific videos that would explain how to use that component of Essentials.  The assumption is these videos were never made and clicking the link in the console redirects you to the page we've been linking back and forth on this page.  If the videos do actually exist they certainly don't exist on that page.

The videos were a great idea in my opinion and it's a shame that we don't have access to them.  I would think even if they didn't get them out by the release of Essentials 2010 they would at least get them up and available shortly after.  Final release of Essentials 2010 was in June I believe and several months later the intended videos are still inaccessible.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 7:12 PM

All replies

• A lot of the concepts and principals for sce 2007 carry over to 2010, so the 2007 videos will give a good starting point.  But regardless sce2010 does require some learning, research, asking questions, especially if you've never used it or sce2007 before.  Contrary to popular belief I've never used sce until 2010 was released so if anything, I'm living proof that it CAN be learned, just takes patience, and a few good backups. =)  That's what these forums are here for, to ask questions you have to better learn the product, and use it to its full potential.

Tim

Ok, so I changed my name...you can still call me Tom if you like. It's a...jump...to conclusions...mat.
    • Proposed as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, October 25, 2010 9:27 AM
    Friday, October 22, 2010 1:52 PM
  •  

Hi,

I would like to share the following documents with you for your reference:

System Center Essentials 2010 Product Documentation

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/systemcenter/ff723783.aspx

You can also get useful information in:

System Center Essentials Team Blog

http://blogs.technet.com/b/systemcenteressentials/

Regarding Virtualization in System Center Essentials 2010, please also see:

Introduction to Virtualization in System Center Essentials 2010

http://blogs.technet.com/b/systemcenteressentials/archive/2010/05/28/introduction-to-virtualization-in-system-center-essentials-2010.aspx

If you have any questions about System Center Essentials 2010, please also feel free to post it in our forums.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, October 25, 2010 10:47 AM
  • Thank you for your repsonse.  I have been to those locations.  I guess I'm looking for a little more.  Any idea why the video links in the console don't actually bring you to the videos like they're supposed to?

Monday, October 25, 2010 9:33 PM
  • where do they take you?  When I click on the link in my console it takes me to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/systemcenter/dd627344.aspx

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 12:43 PM
  • Well for example when I click the video for "The Administration Space" under the Administration section it brings me to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/systemcenter/dd627344.aspx.  Which is a video for "How Do I: Create a group policy to manage Windows Mobile devices with System Center Mobile Device Manager 2008?".  Not exactly what I was looking for.  Or when I go to the Software tab and pick the video for "How to use the Software Space" it brings me to another random How-To video in the System Center video area.  All the product videos it brings me to are for the full System Center Enterprise suite software pieces.  Not Essentials.  And it's random what video it actually brings up because it's the home page for all the How-To System Center videos by the looks of it.

To be honest I'm not sure what video you clicked to bring up the link you posted, but the one you posted isn't an Essentials video either.  Maybe it's doing the same thing to you.  Maybe the videos advertised in the console don't actually exist.  It looks like when you click the link it loads the browser and does a redirect.  Maybe because they never made the video it was intended to bring up.  Any of them for that matter.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 5:40 PM
  • I just realized the link I posted is the exact same link you posted.
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 5:45 PM
  • I'll agree the self-help options, especially videos, really need help, unfortunately that's out of my control.  All I can encourage you to do is ask on the forums here if you need help.
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 5:56 PM
  •  

Hi

After checking this, I found the link would bring me to “System Center ‘How Do I?’ Videos” and the videos related System Center including some items for System Center Essentials are listed in the page. I think you can find what you need here:

System Center "How Do I?" Videos

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/systemcenter/dd627344.aspx

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 2:34 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Nicholas, but that link is the same link we've been looking at throughout this thread.  It's an RSS-fed page with System Center product videos.  Today as I click the link I don't see a single video on there for Essentials.

The whole idea here is they included links in the Essentials console that were intended to point to very specific videos that would explain how to use that component of Essentials.  The assumption is these videos were never made and clicking the link in the console redirects you to the page we've been linking back and forth on this page.  If the videos do actually exist they certainly don't exist on that page.

The videos were a great idea in my opinion and it's a shame that we don't have access to them.  I would think even if they didn't get them out by the release of Essentials 2010 they would at least get them up and available shortly after.  Final release of Essentials 2010 was in June I believe and several months later the intended videos are still inaccessible.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 7:12 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. I will report this. Your time and efforts are highly appreciated; we really value having you as a Microsoft customer.

In the future, if you experience any issues regarding our products or if you have any feedbacks, you are welcome to post a new thread in our forum. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks again. Have a nice day!

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 2:49 AM