none
Applying Screen Saver and Background using GP

Question

• I have pushed the Screen Saver and Back Ground screen using group policy. It is working fine but since that time user facing issue slowness in the network in the remote branches.

Below are the steps how I have implemented this. I created a share folder and copy the background and screen saver in it and give the UNC path in the Group policy.

Any have idea how to fix this issue.

Thursday, June 16, 2016 9:27 AM

Answers

All replies

• > I created a share folder and copy the background and screen saver in it
    > and give the UNC path in the Group policy.

This means the files are pulled at logon (at EACH logon) from the share.
    This of course will introduce logon delays. Copy them to the local
    machine (startup script "robocopy") and configure the local path in your
    GPO.

--
    Greetings/Grüße, Martin -
    Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen? -
    Good or bad GPOs? My blog - http://evilgpo.blogspot.com
    And if IT bothers me? Coke bottle design refreshment -

Thursday, June 16, 2016 10:13 AM
  • Hi,

I agree with Martin.

Generally, we do not recommend use UNC path to set Screen Saver and Back Ground.

The trouble with this approach is the tremendous amount of stress you are putting on your network. If you have thousands of computers in your network and they are logged on around same time (let’s say 9AM in the morning), and if the wallpaper size is 0.5MB, you are unnecessarily putting a huge amount of stress on your network (several gigabytes of bandwidth in this example case), and each time a computer is rebooted, it will pull the GPO and use network resource to render the image over your network.

As a workaround, please take the image from network share and copy it in the local machine.

Go through the following article to get more information:

Set Default Wallpaper or Desktop Background with GPO

http://www.ohoque.com/tutorial/set-default-wallpaper-or-desktop-background-with-gpo/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 17, 2016 5:38 AM
  • Can we do the same with lock screen and screen saver.
    Monday, June 20, 2016 6:28 AM
  • Hi,

If you mean using the local path instead of UNC path, then yes, you can.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 5:43 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Friday, June 24, 2016 6:30 AM
  • Done,

It is working now.

I have copied the screen saver, Wallpaper and lock screen files on the c:\windows\web folder. Now it is working fine

Monday, August 22, 2016 5:14 AM