none
drivers not injected for a new model RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

need to deploy new laptop HP EliteBook 840 G3.

1. Added drivers from driver pack to Out of Box using DriverGroup that serves about 20 models using ONE reference image.

2. The problem:

during Inject Drivers step, drivers are not injected and skip to OS deployment.

NOTE: this happens only for 2 new models. Reference image is Windows7.

Important: the same behavior happens on the independent (not in sync) second MDT2013.

3. The mystery:

for urgent deployment of this model I captured whole machine with installed drivers.

I was surprised that during deployment of the image that included drivers, the drivers DO INJECTED as normally for any model having the folder in OUT of Box.

I am out of ideas... on the link below I uploaded 2 BDDs.

BDD OK - from the deployment with driver injection succeeded ( The OS image contained the same drivers )

BDD NOT - from the machine deployed from the reference image (without any drivers). No drivers injected during injection phase.

I guess it is challenging issue. Never saw this type of things.

here are 2 logs for your judgement :)

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=65464E5654C5C6FE!147&authkey=!AKHDYjsG5HSOYjY&ithint=folder%2c

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 4:01 PM

Answers

• What does your driver folder structure look like for:  Windows 7 x64\HP\HP EliteBook 840 G3

Do you have anything in Windows 7 x64\HP\HP EliteBook 840 G3?

From the logs I see Property DriverGroup001 is now = Windows 7 x64\HP\HP EliteBook 840 G3.

If you are using the Total Control method every driver from that folder should be installed.  Since I don't see PNPDetect in the logs I will assume that is the case and there is nothing in the folder.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 5:05 PM
  • No your structure isn't the same as your drivergroup001....  HP versus Hewlett-Packard 

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

• Marked as answer by pob579 Tuesday, May 24, 2016 4:22 PM
    Thursday, May 19, 2016 7:03 PM
  • HP has recently changed their vendor name from Hewlett-Packard to HP. You'll need to create a new folder under  your Windows 7 x64 folder Called HP, a subfolder for the new model under that, and import the drivers for the new model there.

Thursday, May 19, 2016 7:21 PM
  • Everything needs to be exact for DriverGroup to work.

Personally I like to set my driver group to <SomeOSSomeArchitecture>\%Make%\%Model%

In your case you need to create an HP folder and move that model into it.

Friday, May 20, 2016 1:55 AM

All replies

• Can you clean the drive on the device and run it again?  Then upload your clean log to the same location and I can take a look at it.  Right now it looks like you've got several re-deploys going on to the same system in those logs.  

Steps to clean drive -

1. F8 in WinPE to open command prompt.
    2. Run command diskpart
    3. Run command sel disk 0
    4. Run command clean
    5. Run command exit
    6. Run command wpeutil reboot to reboot system and start deployment again.

Note this will clean whatever is disk 0 on the system and any data loss is at your own risk (though shouldn't matter on a test system like this).

Ryan

• Edited by MrBrooks Tuesday, May 17, 2016 6:33 PM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 6:33 PM
  • Ryan, I can just delete all partitions using partition wizard or just Windows 10 DVD and perform 2 deployments.

One from reference image and one from captured with drivers image.

Would it be OK ? I will do it tomorrow morning (Eastern Time).

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 8:36 PM
  • Hi,

I removed all partitions before deployment on target laptop.

Used reference image for deployment that should use the drivers from Out of Box.

Drivers were not injected.

Here is OSDLOG folder from the machine :

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=65464E5654C5C6FE!148&authkey=!AB3Mz6xSMN5xF-s&ithint=folder%2clog

Will be happy if some clue could be found.

Thx.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 12:51 PM
  • What does your driver folder structure look like for:  Windows 7 x64\HP\HP EliteBook 840 G3

Do you have anything in Windows 7 x64\HP\HP EliteBook 840 G3?

From the logs I see Property DriverGroup001 is now = Windows 7 x64\HP\HP EliteBook 840 G3.

If you are using the Total Control method every driver from that folder should be installed.  Since I don't see PNPDetect in the logs I will assume that is the case and there is nothing in the folder.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 5:05 PM
  • Ty,

I saw the line with DriverGroup... set correctly...

sure the drivers are imported, folder and drivers themselves are ENABLED.

The mystery like I mentioned is that when using TS that uses OS captured with the drivers ( laptop captured with drivers installed) I see bunch of drivers by name during injection.

When using TS with reference image (clean OS) drivers are not injected (the BDD that you checked). The log was taking from machine itself because no network driver present after deployment and the log could not be transferred to the MDT.

The log from the same machine deployed with the image containing drivers and injected again during Injecting Drivers phase is transferred to the server.

What I am saying that it DOES inject drivers when deploying the image containing drivers.

In the link below I uploaded BDD from the deployment with injected drivers during deployment. Strange that there is no DriverGroup in this log but drivers are listed (I saw they were injected). The model defined correctly.

What is going on? :)

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=65464E5654C5C6FE!169&authkey=!AKxqxdh2XL6jYmM&ithint=folder%2c

Thursday, May 19, 2016 1:34 PM
  • No your structure isn't the same as your drivergroup001....  HP versus Hewlett-Packard 

Thursday, May 19, 2016 7:03 PM
  • HP has recently changed their vendor name from Hewlett-Packard to HP. You'll need to create a new folder under  your Windows 7 x64 folder Called HP, a subfolder for the new model under that, and import the drivers for the new model there.

Thursday, May 19, 2016 7:21 PM
  • I am not in the office tomorrow. Really want to try what you are pointing out...

I don't remember what is the importance of the first subfolder under Windows 7 x64.

I think Windows 7 x64 name should be exact.

Then the computer model name folder into which the drivers are imported must be exact (I usually take it from MSINFO32).

Where Lenovo or Hewlett-Packard is defined. I thought it could be just x, y or z because driver group works in conjunction with MODEL name. And I don't remember about requirement of setting the company name as the name of the subfolder of OS name (Windows 7 x64)

Please remind (point to the place in the doc of Driver Group) where the company name is mentioned as exact parameter.

I will let know Monday about future success after using your advice.

Thanks.

U P D A T E:

Out of curiosity :) I accessed my MDT and checked the task sequence...

Sure MAKE is defined as a parameter:   "Windows 7 x64\%make%\%model%"

The only question I have now (even without a proof for myself that this is the issue):

where did you find the pointer that the "MAKE" is invalid in BDD? Is there an error regarding MAKE?

• Edited by pob579 Friday, May 20, 2016 2:02 AM
    Friday, May 20, 2016 1:44 AM
  • Everything needs to be exact for DriverGroup to work.

Personally I like to set my driver group to <SomeOSSomeArchitecture>\%Make%\%Model%

In your case you need to create an HP folder and move that model into it.

Friday, May 20, 2016 1:55 AM
  • Confirm: creating new drivergroup folder with appropriate MAKE name (HP instead of existing Hewlett-Pac..)

solved the problem.

I know that server division changed to HPE (HP Enterprise). 

My confusion also came from the driver injection working when deployed captured image with preinstalled drivers.

May be somebody can explain why it happened. It is clear now that the MAKE folder was the problem for driver injection. But how they could be injected to the image containing drivers.

Not big deal but I don't like unanswered question for myself...

THANKS!

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 12:49 PM