Which version is required to build the golden image for windows 8 Pro? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I work for an IT company and we already use windows deployment to reimage machines and to build out new computers with a standard image. The person who built the Windows 7 share left the company and I have been tasked to create the new one for Windows 8. Currently, we have a windows 8 enterprise license. Am I able to use this enterprise version of Win8 to create the golden image if we are setting it up to deploy to windows 8 pro?

Also, another question pertaining to the above. This may be specific to our company, though I doubt we are the only ones that do this. I have found a script that was written to automatically activate windows 7 pro on pro OEM machines. My question is, if I use the Enterprise version to build the image, will I run into any issues with activation on OEM machines?

Any input is greatly appreciated. I am fairly new to deployment, though I do consider myself to be a quick learner :)

Thanks!!

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:08 PM

Answers

• Golden image is typically older terminology from the days of Ghost.  If thats what your using then I highly suggest you move on to MDT.  With that being said, Win8 Enterprise is good and what you want.  For your second question, do you have a KMS server and key?  If so then you don't need to worry about OEM activation.

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:33 AM
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 1:09 AM