Exchange 2003 backup file growth RRS feed

• Question

• My Exchange 2003 backup files are growing in an unexpected way.

We use ntbackup to do full backups of our Exchange databases. I recently took a 100GB database (users2) and moved mailboxes to two different databases (users3 and users4). The new databases (/w .stm) are 40GB and 28GB respectively. I didn't move all the mailboxes from users2 so I did an offline defrag and users2 is now 7GB.

When I moved the mailboxes, I put the new databases on new disk, but in the same storage group. NTbackup is set to backup users (which is 39GB), users2, users3, and users4. The total disk space of all three databases is 114GB and the log directory for the storage group is (at the moment), 14GB for a total of 128GB.

My backup jobs are set to overwrite the previous version (command line below), but my .bkf files are over 300GB.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntbackup.exe backup "@C:\Admin\backupSelections\storageGroup2.bks" /n "storageGroup2 backup" /d "storageGroup2" /n "storageGroup2 backup" /v:no /r:no /rs:no /hc:off /fu /m normal /j "Thursday storageGroup2 backup" /l:s /f "\\targetIP\targetShare$\ThursdayStorageGroup2.bkf"

What gives? Thanks.

Monday, January 30, 2012 2:47 PM

Answers

• Hi mhashemi,

Per your description, the issue seems not exactly a exchange issue, it seems related with the difference btween the exchange database and the backup bkf file.
    According to the infomation, the total size of the database and the log is 114+128=242, and the size of the bkf files is over 300g.
    I have not tested the same size as yours, but per my know, it is different between them.
    If you want to confirm why it is different, I would suggest that you could open a ticket from MS, you will get more help. I would also do some research, if any information, I would post here.
    You also could post the issue on other forum, and maybe you could get some help.

Regards!

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Gavin

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Tuesday, February 7, 2012 8:55 AM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:47 AM
  • Hi mhashemi,

Next time when you run the backup change the /L:F and then share the log file. We might find the answer there.

Vinit Nair

Vinit Nair MCSE | MCITP - Exchange 2007 "Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination."
    • Proposed as answer by Vinit M Nair Wednesday, February 1, 2012 6:18 AM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:37 AM

All replies

• Hi mhashemi,

Per your description, the issue seems not exactly a exchange issue, it seems related with the difference btween the exchange database and the backup bkf file.
    According to the infomation, the total size of the database and the log is 114+128=242, and the size of the bkf files is over 300g.
    I have not tested the same size as yours, but per my know, it is different between them.
    If you want to confirm why it is different, I would suggest that you could open a ticket from MS, you will get more help. I would also do some research, if any information, I would post here.
    You also could post the issue on other forum, and maybe you could get some help.

Regards!

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Gavin

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:47 AM
  • Hi mhashemi,

Next time when you run the backup change the /L:F and then share the log file. We might find the answer there.

Vinit Nair

Vinit Nair MCSE | MCITP - Exchange 2007 "Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination."
    • Proposed as answer by Vinit M Nair Wednesday, February 1, 2012 6:18 AM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:37 AM
  • Hi mhashemi,

Any update for your issue?

Regards!

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttngfb@microsoft.com

Gavin

Thursday, February 2, 2012 7:32 AM