none
Outlook "lock" on .msg files RRS feed

• Question

• I hope this is the correct forum for the development team.

Please see this question on "Client" http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrclients/thread/648cb96f-f99b-423f-9cbf-3c4923d8b5b7?prof=required

"I am trying to confirm what I believe to already be true, if someone can confirm with documentation on this issue:

Users are saving Emails as ".msg", if the email/file is opened Outlook "locks" the file. If the email is closed and re-opened moments later (either by the same user or another on a shared drive) without closing Outlook and the OUTLOOK.exe process ending the user receives error:

"Microsoft Office Outlook"
    Can't open file: "file location"... The file may not exist, you may not have permission to open it, or it may be open in another program. Right-click the folder that contains the file, and then click Properties to check your permissions for the folder.

This is obviously not a permissions issue and I have confirmed that is Outlook is "locking" the file by using procmon but I can't convince management that there is "no fix" for this. So here I am asking for anyone to either tell me there is a fix or tell me to find a new profession.

Thanks in advance!"

Is there a developer that can confirm this for me?

Ad CCNA, MCSA: Messaging
    Monday, August 10, 2009 1:00 PM