none
Transaction logs when merging mail stores in Exchange 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am currently restoring mail stores on an Exchange 2007 box follow a failure of the SAN leading to several databases being corrupt. I have a question about logs when merging so I will explain what work has been done so far and why...

I now have the corrupt stores mounted and running on new fresh DBs (ESEutil couldn't repair them successfully). Previously in this situation I have restored the DB from backup, done a dialtone swap and merged the fresh DB contents into the restored DB, job done... However in this case, although the last backup (Backup Exec) says it was successful, the restored DBs will not go into a clean shutdown state after replaying the restored logs and still show corruption in the event viewer when mounted following an ESEutil repair. 

So, I thought I would try leaving the store running on the fresh DB and merging the contents of the restored DB into this from the RSG. However, the stores are all 250-400GB in size and this method fills the logs drive (275GB, cannot be expanded) and fails, stopping mail flow in the process.

So, now I'm thinking I should go back through the older backups and find a good copy of the store DBs to restore and do the dial-tone swap, then merge in the fresh DBs they are currently running. However this will leave a gap in the mail between when the backup was taken and when the fresh DB was brought online. So my question is this... If I follow this method, then restore the most up to date DB I can get from backup and merge the contents of this in - as there will only be a small amount of mail to merge (ie the difference between the first backup and up to date backup) will this generate a smaller amount of logs or is the amount of logs determined by the size of the DBs, not the number of items being merged?

I hope this makes sense to someone, please give me a shout for any clarification.

Thanks

Regards

Ben

Friday, November 23, 2012 11:04 AM

Answers

• Merge would just replace missing data and wont replace overwrite existing mail. so, the logs create will be based on the amount information being merged/

M.P.K ~ ( Exchange | 2003/2007/2010/E15(2013)) ~~ Please remember to click “Vote As Helpful" if it really helps and "Mark as Answer” if it answers your question, “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. ~~ This Information is provided is "AS IS" and confers NO Rights!!

Friday, November 23, 2012 1:12 PM

All replies

• Merge would just replace missing data and wont replace overwrite existing mail. so, the logs create will be based on the amount information being merged/

M.P.K ~ ( Exchange | 2003/2007/2010/E15(2013)) ~~ Please remember to click “Vote As Helpful" if it really helps and "Mark as Answer” if it answers your question, “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. ~~ This Information is provided is "AS IS" and confers NO Rights!!

Friday, November 23, 2012 1:12 PM
  • Thanks for the answer on this, unfortunately when I did this the opposite proved to be true. I restored from tape a 200GB DB and merged 1 week of mail from a later version of this DB (also 200GB) and ended up with 200GB of Logs files!

There may be an option somewhere to stop this happening, but in this case it filled the logs drive.

Regards

Ben

Friday, December 7, 2012 11:41 AM