none
Error 3219 Perimeter network host 10.0.10.21 cannot be used in physical-to-virtual or virtual-to-virtual conversions.

Question

• I am using VMM 2008 R2 and trying P2V to convert physical server (Joined to the AD Domain) into Hyper V host (Not joined to the AD domain but Residing on Network Perimeter), All feasibility passes by but i receive an error message as below:

Error (3219):

Perimeter network host 10.0.10.21 cannot be used in physical-to-virtual or virtual-to-virtual conversions.

Recommended Action:

Specify a host located in a trusted domain, then try the operation again.

Please Advise.

Sumeet Khokhani
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:43 AM

Answers

• Hi.

But are your Hyper-V hosted placed in the perimeter network ?

The 'best practice' is to have your host in the permiter network like you, but it also require Actice Directory if you intent to use Failover Clustering, P2V (like in your example) and so on. But if your Hyper-V hosts is running VMs in your LAN, you should consider the following:

- Move your Hyper-V host to your LAN

- Add your Hyper-V host to your domain

The following configuration assumes that you have minimum 2 NICs installed in your Hyper-V host:

- Dedicate a NIC to a Virtual Network (external) for your LAN VMs ( I assume you`ve done this if you are already using VMs on your LAN)

- Dedicate a NIC to a Virtual Network (external) for your DMZ VMs, and unmark the 'Allow management operating system to share this network adapter' for further isolation

Kristian
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:45 AM

All replies

• Hi.

The destination host cannot be in a perimeter network. ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc764232.aspx )

You should try to run P2V to a host in your domain, and then move your vm to the host in the perimeter network.

Kristian
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:06 AM
  • Hi,

So you mean to say is my HyperV Host/Server should must be joined in a domain. Is my understanding correct? Please Advise.

Sumeet Khokhani
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:20 AM
  • For this purpose, yes. But you can run Hyper-V on a stand alone server as well. But if you intend to use failover cluster in your perimeter network, you need an Active Directory infrastructure here as well.
    Kristian
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:24 AM
  • Hi.

But are your Hyper-V hosted placed in the perimeter network ?

The 'best practice' is to have your host in the permiter network like you, but it also require Actice Directory if you intent to use Failover Clustering, P2V (like in your example) and so on. But if your Hyper-V hosts is running VMs in your LAN, you should consider the following:

- Move your Hyper-V host to your LAN

- Add your Hyper-V host to your domain

The following configuration assumes that you have minimum 2 NICs installed in your Hyper-V host:

- Dedicate a NIC to a Virtual Network (external) for your LAN VMs ( I assume you`ve done this if you are already using VMs on your LAN)

- Dedicate a NIC to a Virtual Network (external) for your DMZ VMs, and unmark the 'Allow management operating system to share this network adapter' for further isolation

Kristian
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:45 AM
  • Yes, that is correct.

Kristian
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:05 AM
  • Hi.

Did you succeed with your changes ?

Kristian
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:18 AM
  • Hello Kristian

I run into the same problem as Sumeet Khokhani. I have a windows server 2008 R2 with HyperV and the HyperV server is not a member of my domain. I just want to convert a physical machine (member of my domain)into the hyperV host with Scvmm 2012. As fare as I know so is scvmm 2012 supporting this. Is that correct or wrong? looking forward to hear from you.

Best Regards

Chris

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 9:23 PM