Office 2007/Outlook 2007 issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm having an issue with Outlook 2007 which is part of a sequenced Office 2007. I've used the KB article of sequencing office 2007 and the App-V blog entry about the sequencing of Office 2007 (the 30 steps version).

All sequencing goes well actually, no errors whatsoever, but when I start Outlook 2007 and I hit the "New Mail" (or any other email function (reply, etc)) button Outlook just hangs. When I end the program using the task manager and look at the crash report it states that Outlook has stopped working in module "Unknown".

I've tried sequencing on Windows Server 2008, Terminal Server and Vista Business using App-V sequencer 4.5.1485.

The client is a Windows Server 2008 Terminal Server

All documentation I've found about sequencing Office 2007 uses the 4.2 version and none the 4.5 version.

Have anyone seen the same symptoms I'm experiencing?

Regards,

Sander

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 9:44 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello

When you sequenced office, did you open outlook and try to start a new mail item?  I just want to make sure nothing went wrong during sequencing.  I will also see what additional troubleshooting infromation I can dig up.

Thanks,
    Dan Bernhardt [MSFT]
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 6:38 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Yes I did. On the Vista sequencer as well as the Server 2008 sequencer. Creating a new mail goes just the way it should.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Sander
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:52 PM
  • Hi Sander,

I'm having the exact same problem.

Additional to that I experience the problem in another situation. I sequenced the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 plugin for Outlook. After monitoring the intallation I added the link to the locally installed Outlook 2007 client, so it would start in the same bubble as CRM. When I start Outlook 'normally', there's no problem. When I start Outlook via the package it freezes as soon as I click 'new message' or try to edit an excisting message.

When trying to sequence Office 2007 I had one more problem: Word 2007 would crash / freeze as soon as I open the tab 'Review' / 'Controleren'.

Have you made any progress on the issue? Please let me know your findings.
    Friday, August 28, 2009 12:46 PM
  • do not open the outlook when sequencing Office 2007 and then try.
    GNU developer by choice ....
    Friday, August 28, 2009 2:22 PM
  • If you open Outlook during sequencing, that profile will be captured which may cause it to fail on client machine.
    Friday, August 28, 2009 3:39 PM
  • Hi JM and AW,

Thank you for the reply. For sequencing Office / Outlook, I used this guide. The guide already warned me about that, so I haven't opened outlook or groove.

The strangest thing is that I have the exact same problem when I sequence the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 plugin for Outlook 2007 and I add the link to a local installation of Outlook 2007. When I start outlook using that link I have the problem, when I use the normal link on the desktop (so not starting from the package, not starting the plugin), that doesn't initiate a bubble there is no problem.

Exactly the same for Word 2007. When it's initiated from within the bubble it will freeze / crash on the moment you click the review tab in the ribbon. And again there is no problem when you start Word 2007 normally.

Thnx for thinking along guys, I appreciate it.

Friday, August 28, 2009 8:06 PM
  • Hi Sander,

I'm having the exact same problem.

Additional to that I experience the problem in another situation. I sequenced the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 plugin for Outlook. After monitoring the intallation I added the link to the locally installed Outlook 2007 client, so it would start in the same bubble as CRM. When I start Outlook 'normally', there's no problem. When I start Outlook via the package it freezes as soon as I click 'new message' or try to edit an excisting message.

When trying to sequence Office 2007 I had one more problem: Word 2007 would crash / freeze as soon as I open the tab 'Review' / 'Controleren'.

Have you made any progress on the issue? Please let me know your findings.

Hi "Woogs",

I'm sorry I haven't made any progress. I ended up installing Office 2007 locally.
    My customer is happy now, but i'm not.

I'm planning to use the new 4.6 beta sequencer and client to see if this solves anything.

Regards,

Sander
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 3:08 PM
  • Hello,

As stated earlier in a few other threads, I have seen weird hick-ups in Office specific programs depending on antivirus configuration - an interesting test in that case would then be to disable the AV entirely and see if there is a difference in behaviour.

/Znack
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 7:17 PM
  • Hey Znack,

Thanks for helping out. I don't have any AV installed atm, so that can't be the problem.

Regards,

Woogs
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 7:19 PM
  • Hi Znack,

I don't have AV installed either.

Regards,

Sander
    • Proposed as answer by YvesVL Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:40 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:45 PM
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 7:21 PM
  • Hi,

Did you ever find a solution for this problem ? I have exactly the same problem. I already tried to sequence the package with 4.6 sequencer and also installed 4.6 client on my Windows 2008 terminal server, but the problem stays. Only when i connect directly to the server console it works, but not in an RDP or ICA session.

Regards,

Yves
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:42 PM
  • Hey Yves,

Yeah, sounds like the same problem alright. I didn't make any progress on the issue. For now I did a local install of Office 2007 on the server, meanwhile I keep searching to resolve the issue. I'll add the solution to this forum, if I find it.

Good luck.

Woogs
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:47 PM
  • Hello,

I've got the same problem. Please let us know if there is a solution.

Regards, Tom

Monday, February 1, 2010 10:30 PM
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:45 PM
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:16 PM
  • Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:17 PM