Two operating systems RRS feed

• Question

•  

O.K. when I start my computer I have 2 choices of Windows XP.  The first one does not work anymore for some reason, but the second one works (bottom one).  In the boot.ini. file it reads:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=Optin

So my question is which is the right one to delete leaving me a working operating system? lol!

Thanks.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 10:28 PM

Answers

•  

After checking the issue, it seems this is a general Windows XP issue. As this forum focuses on Windows SteadyState specific issues, this inquiry would best be posted to Windows XP newsgroup:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the newsgroups regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Also, for your information, from the boot.ini, we can see:

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft windows XP Home  

The system boots up by partition 2 by default. If the default one does not work, we can remove multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect and vice versa.

Monday, September 1, 2008 6:28 AM