after installed updates from wsus 2012,how to prevent client-host reboot automatically ? RRS feed

• Question

• hey.guys

my client-hosts  : win2008r2  win2012r2 win2016

after installed updates in the plan from wsus 2012,i dont want my client-hosts reboot automatically .

because my client-hosts are very importmant servers ,they are only reboot manully.

and my servers usually have no user logon,just power-on .

how can i do ? the picture below is my client-host group-policy for update

Thursday, December 5, 2019 2:36 AM

Answers

• Hi Nelson,

So for servers with important roles, my suggestion is to adjust the "Configure Automatic Updates" scheme to 3 or 2, so as to avoid the situation you mentioned. 

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by nelson2004 Thursday, December 12, 2019 7:55 AM
    Thursday, December 12, 2019 2:07 AM

All replies

• You will want to leave this option for 'No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Updates Installations' enabled.

https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/1390-wsus-gpo-settings-for-the-real-world

Thursday, December 5, 2019 1:55 PM
  • Hi Nelson,

I agree with Udara's suggestion.
    And, if you can be sure that the automatic installation of these servers will cause trouble, please consider changing the "Configure Automatic Updates" mode to 2 or 3, and change the automatic update from the source to manual trigger.

Double insurance is always good.

Regards,
    Yic

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 6, 2019 1:10 AM
  • thanks for you guys answer my question,

In 2008r2 and 2012r2,group-policy for windows update have no option "'No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Updates Installations'",

just only option"No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installstions",

this policy need user log on that computer will not restart automaticlly.

Is there anyone could figure out where is option ""'No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Updates Installations'"?

thnks

Friday, December 6, 2019 4:00 AM
  • Hi Nelson,

I think the group policy Udara mentioned is exactly "No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations". 

Regards,
    Yic

Friday, December 6, 2019 8:21 AM
  • thx Yic

so if no user logged on server ,the server will restart automatically after the security or key update installed.

that means a problem to the important servers .

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 4:08 AM
  • Hi Nelson,

So for servers with important roles, my suggestion is to adjust the "Configure Automatic Updates" scheme to 3 or 2, so as to avoid the situation you mentioned. 

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

• Marked as answer by nelson2004 Thursday, December 12, 2019 7:55 AM
    Thursday, December 12, 2019 2:07 AM