none
SBS 2003 to SBS 2011 Standard RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I am in the process of planning on going for SBS 2003 to SBS 2011. The group that maintained this domain has some strange configurations going on on the 2003 server and I am not really sure if I want to migrate things over to the 2011 server. The 2003 server is running SQL, Exchange, Sharepoint, shares, and printer shares to name a few. I have moved the SQL, Sharepoint, user and group shares onto other servers in the domain. The 2003 server is now pretty much running just Exchange and printer shares. There are 3 other 2003 servers in the domain doing various things also.

A few questions:

Is it safe to raise the domain and forest functional level with the 3 other 2003 servers which are backup domain controllers?

Is it possible to run both servers at the sametime on the network and move printers and mailboxes etc over and rename the new server to the original server. (this is a long shot I know)

Can I pick what I want to migrate over in the answer file choosing what I feel is safe to migrate?

Lots of questions and the more I read the more I worry about things.

Thank you,

Tom Hoffman

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 6:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• If all of your DC's are 2003 or newer there is no problem raising the domain functional level to that point. The various servers can co-exist wirth SBS on the same network segment for 21 days, however not with the same name. If you want more granular control, longer time frame, and maintain the server name I would recommend purchasing a $200 migration kit, customized for 2003 to SBS 2011 std from www.swingmigration.com . Their process allows you to keep the same server name, and provides 90 days personal support.
    Rob Williams
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 7:23 PM
  • Thank you Rob,

Good to know that it will not affect the other 2003 DC's.

I plan to remove the 2003 server as soon as possible but I did not even think about the server name having to change. For some stupid reason I thought it would migrate the name also. (brain fart and lack of sleep) This will affect the print share only which is a good thing.

Keep the server name is not a must as long as the workstations find the new SBS which they should. Still reading about the migration and just about to setting up the answer file so hopefully will get the other answer there.

I am sure there is more to come, thank you again,

Tom

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:35 PM
  • Hi,

For the detailed steps of how to migrate to Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard, please refer to the following Microsoft TechNet article:

Migrate to Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard from Windows Small Business Server 2003

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg563801.aspx

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:16 AM
  • Thank you for the link.

One other question I have is that the old server is running SQL but the new server will not be. Will it still try to migrate something like this over?

Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:55 PM
  • The migration is done manually in stages by the technician. You will not have to move SQL as part of the SBS migration.

Rob Williams
    Friday, April 15, 2011 8:23 PM
  • Thank you again everyone.

Tom

Monday, May 2, 2011 12:54 PM