none
How to migrate Gmail accounts to Office 365 RRS feed

• Question

• I am converting a one of my customers from Gmail business over to Office 365 and am running into issues. They are not using Outlook at all, they use the Gmail account exclusively from the web. They have multiple email folders and they have multiple groups of contacts. I have only been able to connect to their Gmail accounts using POP and have been unsuccessful in using IMAP. They do have Office 2010 on all of their workstations but as I’ve said above, they don’t use Outlook for their email.

Here are my issues;

1.        When I download their messages, I get the messages but I don’t get any of the groups or folders of messages which I was afraid of.
    2.        I have been unsuccessful in exporting their contacts. I have tried both Google and Outlook exports which exports to a CSV file.

When I take the Outlook CSV file and import it into Outlook, the contact shows up incorrectly. Given Name, Family Name, Group Membership and E-mail 1 Value fields all show up in the Notes field. In the email field, ‘* Other’ shows up and not the email address. I went through the mapping and it all looks correct.

How can I fix these issues?

Sunday, February 7, 2016 2:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I'm not sure how you used POP to get the emails without Outlook, would you please let me know it?

For the question 1, IMAP will download the email folders structure, but POP3 doesn't, it's by design.

For the question 2, you can test by exporting some existing contacts from Outlook to a csv file, and compare to the csv file exported from Google, check if the format is the same or different. If different, there may not be an easy way to correct this correctly.

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 6:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm not sure how you used POP to get the emails without Outlook, would you please let me know it?

For the question 1, IMAP will download the email folders structure, but POP3 doesn't, it's by design.

For the question 2, you can test by exporting some existing contacts from Outlook to a csv file, and compare to the csv file exported from Google, check if the format is the same or different. If different, there may not be an easy way to correct this correctly.

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 6:16 AM
  • Hi

If you are facing an issue, then you can try all-in-one Gmail Backup Tool. I have used this application and it has successfully backed up all my Gmail messages to Office 365 account. It is a direct solution, you only need to enter the details of source account i.e. Gmail and after selecting Office 365 as a backup option, you need to specify the details of O365 account. And then the tool will directly move all your Gmail mail folders to Office 365 with exact formatting properties and folder structure. You can download the free demo of Gmail Backup Tool and backup first 20 Gmail mails to Office 365. With this, you can test and analyse the software functionality. 

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 11:43 AM
  • You can try Mailvita Gmail Backup tool for getting your backup form PST, MSG, MBOX, EML, and EMLX. The Gamil Backup tool is smoothly runs on Mac 10.10  10.11 10.12 10.13 10.14. And easily support the Outlook's email clients like- Apple Mail, Thunderbird, and others.

Thursday, October 3, 2019 6:22 AM
  • Migrate your multiple Gmail accounts to Office 365 with the help of Email Backup Wizard. The tool successfully supports to batch convert Gmail accounts to Office 365 directly. This software is completely free from any type of risk. Also, the tool offers so many advanced facilities like:

• Allows to perform direct migration.
    • No file size limitation imposed.
    • Maintains all the properties during migration.
    • Supports all the platforms of Windows.
    Saturday, November 16, 2019 12:34 PM
  • If you are looking for the getting backup of your data, then you can try the Gmail Backup to Office 365. This is the most reliable solution of your problem. The Gmail Backup is the light in weight that can easy to install and never make your computer slow. Its filter and install all of your data very safely. The software can easily provide a database of unlimited and big size files at the same time, without any data loss and without making duplicate files.

Visit here:- https://www.datavare.com/blog/gmail-to-office-365.html

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 7:47 AM
  • Hey all, this is a dead issue now. The message that I posted was 3 years ago. My problem was resolved back then
    Tuesday, December 3, 2019 12:05 PM
  • Gmail Backup Tool is an advanced tool that can filter all of your data and install at the desired location. Its easily support the windows 2003 to Latest versions of Outlook. The software can create backups of only those files selected by customers.
    Visit here:- http://www.download.adwages.com/gmail-backup-software/
    Friday, December 6, 2019 4:59 AM