Office 365 - Outlook - "From" Email address missing in email body when Replying / Forwarding RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Apologies if this is not in the right place - first post.

Preface:

I work for a large-ish company and we have been doing a big upgrade, moving everyone from Office 1997 & Outlook 2003 to Office 365. Along with this we are upgrading Exchange from 2010 -> 2016 -> 2019 (all on premises)

The exchange upgrades are being handled by a 3rd party, I have already consulted him with this and he's not seen it before in his 20 years of Exchange Admin experience.

Problem:

Once a Outlook installation and profile has been updated from Outlook 2003 to Office 365, when a user replies to or forwards a email (Old or New, Internal or External, Personal or Shared) the original sender's email address is missing, example:

Sent: 04/05/2020 10:30

To: IT Admin - Company <IT.admin@company.com>

Subject: Example Email

Next to "Joe Smith" you would expect the following:

Troubleshooting Done:

- Compared accounts via ADSI Edit

- Checked & Compared all Outlook settings (Took an hour)

- Checked Exchange Mailbox Settings (Exchange 2010)

- Tried Recreating profile

- Checked with a shared 2010 mailbox and 2016 mailbox - same result

- Unable to replicate on my account (Made 2019, Only used O365)

- Unable to replicate with anyone that is 2007 -> O365, 2010 -> O365 or 2013 -> O365

- Checked registry for "DisableEmailAddressInRepoyHeaders" - No key, created key with DWORD 0 and this did nothing

- Office 365 Reinstall made no change

- Tried ScanPST / PST repair - found and fixed errors but no change

- Starting Outlook in safe mode fixes this issue

Any ideas or thoughts would be most appreciated.

• Edited by Chrisc90s Monday, May 4, 2020 10:29 AM Add. Troubleshooting
    Monday, May 4, 2020 10:10 AM

Answers

• Ok Gang, here's the solution I found for this particular issue after days of trial and error:

For some reason, Outlook 2016 was looking back to files from Outlook 2003. I don't know why its doing it, but it was.

I downloaded the Office 2003 Resource Kit (ORK) from Microsoft (took some digging), installed it on a troubled computer. Then I ran the "Removal Wizard" as administrator and chose the option to remove all previous office installation files and restarted.

Once done, I removed any outstanding Office 1997 / 2003 installations via Control Panel -> Uninstall Program - for some reason Outlook 2003 appeared back in that list again and needed removing a 2nd time.

Once done, opening Outlook 2016 and replying/forwarding emails worked with the email addresses re-appearing in the email body.

A very unexpected and strange issue! Thanks Everyone.

• Marked as answer by Chrisc90s Tuesday, May 5, 2020 5:58 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2020 5:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

could you show the list of COM add-ins on the problem Outlook 365? 

Monday, May 4, 2020 1:45 PM
  • Hi,

Please see below:

Active:

Microsoft Exchange Add-in (...\ADDINS\UmOutlookAddin.dll)

Microsoft SharePoint Server Colleague Import Add-In (...\ADDINS\ColleagueImport.dll)

Symantec Endpoint Protection Outlook Add In (...\bin\SEPOutlookAddin.dll)

InActive:

Microsoft Access Outlook Add-In for Data Collection and Publishing (...\ADDINS\ACCOLK.DLL)

Microsoft VBA for Outlook Addin (...\ADDINS\OUTLVBA.DLL)

OneNote Notes about Outlook Items (...\root\office16\ONBttnOL.dll)

Outlook Social Connector 2016 (...\office16\SOCIALCONNECTOR.DLL)

Skype Meeting Add-in for Microsoft Office (...\root\office16\UCAddin.dll)

Disabled:

None

Monday, May 4, 2020 1:56 PM
  • Try to disable Symantec.
    Monday, May 4, 2020 3:46 PM
  • Hi,

Does this problem only occur with a specific user?

Can he reproduce this issue on the web mail?

Since you have done many troubleshooting, what I can think of is there could be some add-ins in your Outlook client that cause this issue, so it is suggested to start your Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type “outlook /safe”, press Enter.) and see if the issue continues.

If it works fine in safe mode, then the problem is likely with one of your add-ins. You'll need to disable all add-ins after restarting Outlook in normal mode, and then enable them one by one to figure out the problematic one. 

Besides, it is also suggested to repair your Office installation.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 5, 2020 1:34 AM
  • Hi Aidan,

In terms of safemode:

Running Outlook.exe /safe -> Issue Resolved

Running Outlook.exe /safe:1 -> Issue Not Resolved

Running Outlook.exe /safe:3 -> Issue not resolved

This is affecting about 50 Users currently (All the users currently still in the office, not on leave)

I have disabled all addins, restarted and tried again - issue still present.

When using the OWA, this works fine and as expected.

I have logged the user into the outlook client on my PC (Known Working) and it works fine and as expected.

Tried a online and offline outlook repair - no change still not working

Adding full admin permissions to the Outlook application - no change

Tuesday, May 5, 2020 8:21 AM
  • This is affecting about 50 Users currently (All the users currently still in the office, not on leave)

I have disabled all addins, restarted and tried again - issue still present.

When using the OWA, this works fine and as expected.

I have logged the user into the outlook client on my PC (Known Working) and it works fine and as expected.

Hi Xhrisc90s,

what's the difference between your PC where it works and client's PC where it doesn't?

Ooulook version/bitness?

Tuesday, May 5, 2020 9:24 AM
  • Ok Gang, here's the solution I found for this particular issue after days of trial and error:

For some reason, Outlook 2016 was looking back to files from Outlook 2003. I don't know why its doing it, but it was.

I downloaded the Office 2003 Resource Kit (ORK) from Microsoft (took some digging), installed it on a troubled computer. Then I ran the "Removal Wizard" as administrator and chose the option to remove all previous office installation files and restarted.

Once done, I removed any outstanding Office 1997 / 2003 installations via Control Panel -> Uninstall Program - for some reason Outlook 2003 appeared back in that list again and needed removing a 2nd time.

Once done, opening Outlook 2016 and replying/forwarding emails worked with the email addresses re-appearing in the email body.

A very unexpected and strange issue! Thanks Everyone.

• Marked as answer by Chrisc90s Tuesday, May 5, 2020 5:58 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2020 5:58 PM
  • Hi,

I'm glad to see your issue has been fixed and thanks for your sharing:)

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 6, 2020 1:20 AM