none
Durations changing on a resource loaded schedule RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.  I have been using resource-loaded schedules in 2007 for the past 4 months.  I currently have several small projects that use a shared resource pool.  The tasks are fixed duration, not effort driven, and where I have a task calendar (company holidays off only), the "scheduling ignores resource calendars" box is checked.  The resources are all assigned at 100% across multiple projects (the PMs work out conflicts on their own).  Also, these projects are scheduled independently but are also inserted into a master project that is used only to track resources throughout the company.

Everything was working fine even with the over-allocated resources until last Thursday.  I put in lag on a particular task that had not started yet and received the message "the resource is assigned outside the original ddates for task _______.  The duration of this fixed duration task will change to accomodate the resource assignment."  This is now happening with all of the projects.  Although I don't touch the duration, project changes the duration and work hours for me. 

I have been researching the internet and have asked far more experienced schedulers that I know only to be told this is a bug.  I've tried de-linking the schedules from the shared resource pool, increasing resource availability in the resource pool file to 1000%, removing the resources, played with over-allocated vs non over-allocated resources, etc with no luck.  This is beyond my limited experience, and I desperately need some help. 

I believe the issue is related to the shared file but I'm stuck.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Roxanne

Roxanne Diaz
    Monday, June 6, 2011 3:03 PM

Answers

• Hi,

First, as a genral rule, I would as much as possible make Project mimick reality.

Suppose a task is sheduled Thu-Fr-Sat based on the 6 d project calendar. The type is fixed duration.

Then you tell Project it has to be done by a resource working a 5 d calendar, i.e. not on Saturday.

Since resoruce calendars override the  project calendar, now the task will be scheduled Thu-Fr-Mon because now for this task (through its resource) the Saturday is nonworking. And for fixed duration tasks duration will now be shown a 4 days and you get the warning.

Is this realistic? If yes, ignore the warning. Isn't it? Then what? Will the resource work Saturdays anyway? If so lmmaybe you indeed better assign a 6d calendar to the resource - but this is probably not realistic either.

By all means, note your first lesson on resource loading: the resource calendar totally overrides the project calendar. Maybe so "basic" that articlres do not mention it.

Greetings,

Monday, June 6, 2011 6:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

With fixed duration tasks, this generally happens when the resource has nonworking time during the original duration of the task.

Greetings,

Monday, June 6, 2011 3:28 PM
  • I'm sorry but I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.  If the resource was assigned 100% during the task, how would he have nonworking time?  It worked for weeks and all of a sudden, this started happening and I hadn't done anything to any of the schedules???

Did I load the resources incorrectly, and more importantly, is there a fix?

Thank you!

Roxanne

Roxanne Diaz
    Monday, June 6, 2011 3:41 PM
  • Hi Roxanne,

In MS Project, "nonworking time" is defined through a calendar. In this case, the resource COULD have a day off (called by MS Project nonworking time) during the time he/she is scheduled on the task.

This day off could be defined in the resource's calendar in the pool.

It's more than probably something by design, so no fix... you might change the task type to fixed units or fixed work to avoid the message but you would still see the task finish later than without the day off.

Greetings,

Monday, June 6, 2011 6:00 PM
  • On one of the schedules, we are working 6d weeks and the resource pool has the standard work week.  That makes sense, although I think this has happened on projects that aren't working 6d schedules.  Would you recommend I switch the resource pool calendar to match the corporate holiday calendar that I put in all of the projects?

I'm a little concerned about switching to fixed units because I'm not very familiar with them and am concerned I'll cause more problems.  Additionally, there are a couple of PMs who do their own scheduling (they insist) and they aren't super proficient in MSP.

Also, do you have any recommendations as to where to learn more about resource-loading?  I've checked out articles on the internet and in "Inside Out" but I still do not feel very comfortable. Unfortunately, I do not work with anyone who is experienced with them either.

Thank you for your inputs.  I've actually read many of your other posts and am happy that you are helping me!

Sincerely,

Roxanne

Roxanne Diaz
    Monday, June 6, 2011 6:09 PM
  • Hi,

First, as a genral rule, I would as much as possible make Project mimick reality.

Suppose a task is sheduled Thu-Fr-Sat based on the 6 d project calendar. The type is fixed duration.

Then you tell Project it has to be done by a resource working a 5 d calendar, i.e. not on Saturday.

Since resoruce calendars override the  project calendar, now the task will be scheduled Thu-Fr-Mon because now for this task (through its resource) the Saturday is nonworking. And for fixed duration tasks duration will now be shown a 4 days and you get the warning.

Is this realistic? If yes, ignore the warning. Isn't it? Then what? Will the resource work Saturdays anyway? If so lmmaybe you indeed better assign a 6d calendar to the resource - but this is probably not realistic either.

By all means, note your first lesson on resource loading: the resource calendar totally overrides the project calendar. Maybe so "basic" that articlres do not mention it.

Greetings,

Monday, June 6, 2011 6:24 PM