none
Baseline setting RRS feed

• Question

• I want to know how to stop my Team leads or project managers from changing the baseline once the plan is baselined no one should be allowed to change it.
    Monday, March 19, 2012 6:08 AM

Answers

• sheelaj --

First of all, someone in your organization needs to be able to save an original baseline and then update the baseline after new tasks are added through change control.  If you do not want your PMs or team leaders to be able to save an original baseline or update the baseline, then do the following:

1.  Log into PWA with administrator permissions.
    2.  Click Server Settings > Manage Groups.
    3.  Click the Project Managers group to open it for editing.
    4.  In the Categories section of the page, select the My Projects category.
    5.  In the Permissions grid for the My Projects category, DESELECT the Save Protected Baseline permission.
    6.  Expand the Global Permissions grid and scroll down to the Projects section of the data grid.
    7.  DESELECT the Save Unprotected Baseline permission.
    8.  Click the Save button.

By default, members of the Team Leads group do not have permissions to save baselines at all, but if you have enabled those permissions for them, then repeat the preceding steps with the Team Leaders group.  Keep in mind that if you follow the above procedure, then some other responsible person(s) in your organization will need to handle all baseline procedures on behalf of the project managers.  For those responsible persons, you could open the Portfolio Managers group for editing and select the Save Protected Baseline permission and the Save Unprotected Baseline permission, and then add those responsible users to the Portfolio Managers group.

Beyond this, keep in mind that you CANNOT set up Project Server 2010 so that your PMs can save an original baseline and then prevent them from updating the baseline.  It�??s an all or nothing proposition, my friend.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Monday, March 19, 2012 11:47 AM

All replies

• sheelaj --

First of all, someone in your organization needs to be able to save an original baseline and then update the baseline after new tasks are added through change control.  If you do not want your PMs or team leaders to be able to save an original baseline or update the baseline, then do the following:

1.  Log into PWA with administrator permissions.
    2.  Click Server Settings > Manage Groups.
    3.  Click the Project Managers group to open it for editing.
    4.  In the Categories section of the page, select the My Projects category.
    5.  In the Permissions grid for the My Projects category, DESELECT the Save Protected Baseline permission.
    6.  Expand the Global Permissions grid and scroll down to the Projects section of the data grid.
    7.  DESELECT the Save Unprotected Baseline permission.
    8.  Click the Save button.

By default, members of the Team Leads group do not have permissions to save baselines at all, but if you have enabled those permissions for them, then repeat the preceding steps with the Team Leaders group.  Keep in mind that if you follow the above procedure, then some other responsible person(s) in your organization will need to handle all baseline procedures on behalf of the project managers.  For those responsible persons, you could open the Portfolio Managers group for editing and select the Save Protected Baseline permission and the Save Unprotected Baseline permission, and then add those responsible users to the Portfolio Managers group.

Beyond this, keep in mind that you CANNOT set up Project Server 2010 so that your PMs can save an original baseline and then prevent them from updating the baseline.  It�??s an all or nothing proposition, my friend.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Monday, March 19, 2012 11:47 AM
  • Hi Dale,

Has there been any improvements to this over time.

We are using Project Online. Requirement is to trigger an approval for a baseline change for certain types of Projects.

Abhijeet Mohite, PPM Consultant | abhijeetm@outlook.com

Monday, July 24, 2017 8:18 AM
  • Abhijeet --

There is been no change to the Baseline functionality.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, July 24, 2017 9:46 PM
  • Thanks Dale. Confirmation helps.

Abhijeet Mohite, PPM Consultant | abhijeetm@outlook.com

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 9:20 AM