MOSS 2007, site content & structure , showing only one file in library RRS feed

• Question

• Hello !

I have possibly a trivial question, but as the goal is to move multiple files and preserve the metadata, the most convenient way is to do it by "Site content and structure" tool, at least on my experience.

The only problem is that my explorer view is showing only one/first object on each library. Has this problem something to do with the site publishing feature ? As now our site publishing feature is not active. The files are normally visible at the site to all users.

Thanks in Advance !

BR Jussi

Friday, August 5, 2011 10:14 AM

All replies

• Hello,

"Site content and structure" and "Explorer view" are completely different things - different mechnisms of work, different steps for copying. Can you please clarify which has the issue?

I don't publishing feature has anything to do with this. Are there folders associated with this library?

Thanks,

Dip
    MCTS: MOSS 2007 Administration
    MCAD, MCSD
    My blog: http://dzeee.net/sharepoint
    Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 12:40 PM
  • Hi !

Let's forget that explorer view :)

We have a document library, which has multiple documents, in this case excel documents. They all can be seen and accessed from the site without no problems. All I want to do is move those documents to another folder or library.

I would have done it thru site actions - site settings - content and structure  -> from there select the document library containing the documents , select the documents you want to move -> select from the "actions" menu "move" and select the place you want the documents to be moved.

That's my plan, but the problem is that when I want to select the documents to be moved, only one document is visible at the library.

This happends with libraries which has folders associated, and also with libraries with no folders. If the folder is the top most object on the document library it is the one which is visible. And happends with libraries that have eg. .pdf documents. In all cases only "one of many" can be seen at the library.

Did this help to clarify my problem ?

Friday, August 5, 2011 1:35 PM
  • So, in content and structure > doclibrary, you only see a single document when there should be several?

Tried to replicate the problem but I was able to see all documents in the library.

The reason why you're not using Explorer View is to preserve metadata?

Friday, August 5, 2011 3:44 PM
  • Can you try this from other browser?

Thanks & Regards, Soumyadev | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, August 8, 2011 3:05 AM
  • quote:

"So, in content and structure > doclibrary, you only see a single document when there should be several"

Yes, that's the problem.

quote:

"The reason why you're not using Explorer View is to preserve metadata?"

Yes, that's the reason

I'll have to try with some other browser, just takes a bit "adjusting" to get that sorted...

Monday, August 8, 2011 9:50 AM
  • Hi all !

Well, no success with another browser. Any other ideas ? Our server expert thought that this might be a "unkonwn" problem, but this obvious case... not known, seems to me that this should have been noticed before ?

Friday, August 12, 2011 7:15 AM
  • Did you try to replicate the issue from some other machine? Can you please update on what is the outcome of the test?

Thanks & Regards, Soumyadev | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, August 15, 2011 4:59 AM
  •  

Yes, the problem exist on a different machine, and even with another user.

As a "solution" I moved the files one by one. This works due to the simple fact that when you move the first file, the "next" file becomes visible and available for moving. 

When moving the files (aprox 20 files) on some point after I had moved few files , the behaviour changed and I was able to see 2 files at a time, but still I wasn't able to see all the files. Well, moving two files per time is double faster than one by one :) 

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 11:51 AM