none
MDT Application install help RRS feed

• Question

• MDT v6.3.8450.1000

ADK 10 v1803

Windows 10 1803 install

Hi,

So trying to install the 7Zip.msi within the MDT Deployment Workbench. I have added the 7Zip Application into the Applications folder, and also added to install the app into the Task Sequence.

Here is the following command line to run the install i am using.   

msiexec /qb 7z1805-x64.exe /quiet /norestart

When i run the MDT install all works fine, it gets to the 7Zip install and doesn't do anything cannot see anything in the logs to suggest it failed for some reason, it just states Failed to install.

Any suggestions.

Cheers in advance.

Gordon.

Monday, August 20, 2018 9:02 AM

All replies

• You need to add some logging to your MSI command so that you can work out why the application is failing to install.

Try adding /L*V "C:\7z1805-x64.log" to your MSI command.

Monday, August 20, 2018 9:59 AM
  • Hi Shaun,

Will do thanks for the help.

Gordon.

Monday, August 20, 2018 12:04 PM
  • I see you are running

msiexec /qb 7z1805-x64.exe /quiet /norestart

as the command.  I am pretty sure that MSIEXEC only installs .msi files.  Also, why are you mixing /qb with /quiet?

The silent install command from their website is this:

How can I install 7-Zip in silent mode?

For exe installer: Use the "/S" parameter to do a silent installation and the "/D=dir" parameter to specify the "output directory". These options are case-sensitive.

For msi installer: Use the /q INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files\7-Zip" parameters.

Monday, August 20, 2018 2:28 PM
  • Hi LawsonT,

So would my code look something like this

msiexec /q INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files\7-Zip" 7z1805-x64.msi

I have tried to run this within MDT and all i get it the Windows Installer, which i think means that the code is incorrect.

Gordon.

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 1:00 PM
  • You are close here.  I tested this and ran the following.

msiexec /i 7z1805-x64.msi /qb /norestart INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files\7-Zip"

That would be your command line in an MDT Application.  I just had this install.  It will require a reboot to fully install.  In the MDT application window for 7-Zip, on the Details tab, I would check the checkbox to reboot the computer after installing this application.

LawsonT

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 1:58 PM