FCS Installation: DCOM Error ... referring old name??? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a six servers FCS architecture: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb404282.aspx

Checking the Event log on the Reporting Server Database I noticed an error with DCOM:

Log Name:  System

Source:  Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM

Date:   1/26/2011 11:40:01 AM

Event ID:  10009

Task Category: None

Level:   Error

Keywords:  Classic

User:   N/A

Computer:  SOPFCSRS1

Description:

DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer SOTFCSSQL1 using any of the configured protocols.

1. Why this error?

2. the server SOTFCSSQL1 is the old name of SOPFCSRS1 why the old name is still listed? 

System Center Operations Manager 2007 / System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R2 / Forefront Client Security / Forefront Identity Manager
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:58 PM

Answers

• Hello,

- Uninstall MOM on the Database Reporting Servern in the Desktop environment.

- Delete entries from the MOM Console on the Forefront Client Server in the Server environment.

- Reboot the Database Reporting Servern in the Desktop environment.

- Install MOM on the Database Reporting Servern in the Desktop environment.

no more error in the event log for 4 hours (it was coming every 30 minutes)

Thanks,

Dom

System Center Operations Manager 2007 / System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R2 / Forefront Client Security / Forefront Identity Manager
    • Marked as answer by Felyjos Friday, February 18, 2011 10:22 PM
    Friday, February 18, 2011 10:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

To fix this issue, please perform the following steps:

1.Stopped and started MOM agent service.
    2.Checked the DTC service , and enabled it.

3.Please check the incorrect entries in MOM hosts file, such as the old server name and the ip address of the server before renaming. If you find some entries in the hosts file, please remove it and see if it works.

Thanks,

Miles

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 9:29 AM
  • Hi,

1. Done

2. DTC Service is always started. I disable the DCOM but unchecking the check box "Enable Distributed COM on this computer"

3. nothing on the MOM Hosts file C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts except the backup servers...

Anyway to locate where this old-name is coming from? I did a search on drive but nothing came up... I did in the registries nothing either!!!

Thanks,

Dom

Thursday, February 3, 2011 7:30 PM
  • Hello,

still failing ...

could it be a reason the 14-days history do not populate? or why the auto-approve is failing?

Thanks,

Dom

Friday, February 4, 2011 7:37 PM
  • Hello,

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/Forefrontclientsetup/thread/975fee29-cf1e-4398-a7b3-ab79743bf9e2

I tried to stop MOM Service on SOPFCSRS1 where I see the error.

the DCOM is already enabled so should I disable it?

the host files contains only the backup server names needed for our backup Software Legato.

But still no luck...

Should I stop the MOM Service on all servers (the six Database Collection Server, Collection Server, Reporting Service Server , Management Server and WSUS Server)?

Thanks,

Dom

Thursday, February 10, 2011 6:29 PM
  • Still no luck with this issue?

All ideas are welcome...

Thanks,
    Dom

Friday, February 11, 2011 9:21 PM
  • Hello,

on another forum more DCOM side http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/b167a335-5206-4483-a2a8-89da514e93c4 Dave was proposing to repair Forefront... but what I am not sure is that the error is a Forefront Error and not an OS/Hardware issue...

Is it somehing viable? As everything else is working reports, dashboard (except the 14-days) I wonder if a repair is not elefant to fight a mouse!!!

Anyway in case of repair as there are 6 servers: Database Collection Server, Database Reporting Server, Collection Server, Reportings Service Server, Management Server and WSUS Server which one(s) should be repaired?

Thanks,

Dom

Saturday, February 12, 2011 3:49 PM
  • Hello,

Stop the Service Distributed Transaction Coordinator

I have Disabled the Distributed COM with dcomcnfg.exe Console Root > Component Services > Computers > My Computers > right Click > Default Properties I unchecked the Enable Distributed COM on this computer.

Reboot the Server

Stop MOM Service

Start Service Distributed Transaction Coordinator

Start MOM

still the same error it is calling the old server name..

Any idea?

Thanks,

Dom

Monday, February 14, 2011 9:46 PM
  • ?bump?
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 5:25 PM
  • Hello,

Still looking for an answer as there error is coming every 30 minutes...

DNS does not contain the old server name.

WINS does not contain the old server name.

I tried to limit to one DNS settings at a time and the issue is the same as when the 3 DNSs were in...

I did a search on registry, AD, Drives, Disks, but no trace of this old name...

The message appears in the Event Log System every 30 minutes... how to trace which task create this event?

Any idea?

Thanks,
    Dom

Thursday, February 17, 2011 10:40 PM
  • Hello,

- Uninstall MOM on the Database Reporting Servern in the Desktop environment.

- Delete entries from the MOM Console on the Forefront Client Server in the Server environment.

- Reboot the Database Reporting Servern in the Desktop environment.

- Install MOM on the Database Reporting Servern in the Desktop environment.

no more error in the event log for 4 hours (it was coming every 30 minutes)

Thanks,

Dom

• Marked as answer by Felyjos Friday, February 18, 2011 10:22 PM
    Friday, February 18, 2011 10:06 PM