none
Timing out when using Bulk Import Tool in PS 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am working with PS 2010 and was trying to use the bulk import tool (downloaded from the MSDN solution starter) for updating around 1500 projects. When I specify the sharepoint list information and also provide the mapping column information and start import, it works fine until 25-30 projects and then stops.

When I go and check in the Queue I can find out at which project the import stopped, then I remove the projects till the last project listed in the queue and run again the bulk import tool. Again it works for few more projects and fails again. Have to re run the import tool again and continue repeating the same process.

Just wanted to know if there is any configuration setting for increasing the job timer value or some setting so that I can complete the import in one go.

FYI..we have a dedicated PS environment.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 12:17 PM

Answers

• Sudir,
    Are you trying to import 1500 project at a time. I would recommend to import the project plans in small chunks. Since for each project plan depending on tasks, resources etc large number of queue jobs will be generated, which may slow down the queue job processing.

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:29 PM

All replies

• Sudir,
    Are you trying to import 1500 project at a time. I would recommend to import the project plans in small chunks. Since for each project plan depending on tasks, resources etc large number of queue jobs will be generated, which may slow down the queue job processing.

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:29 PM
  • Hrishi,

The problem here is that for updating 1500 projects we have to manually monitor the queue after 5 mins and re run the bulk import tool as it would fail after updating 20 to 30 odd projects..would like to know if we can overcome this issue so that once I schedule the import during non business hours it would update the projects completely instead i keep running the tool again and again.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:04 PM
  • Sudhir:

Solutions starters are just that, starters. You can improve the code to work for you or you can use it as is with its limitations. If you have follow-up development questions, please ask them in the appropriate forum.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Friday, May 31, 2013 2:31 PM