WIndows 8 "desktop" screen has issues after screen timeout. RRS feed

• Question

• If the screen times out on my computer, when I use it next the desktop won't open or display any windows properly. No game windows, internet explorers, or even system files. It only happens after the screen times out.

I've tried changing our settings so the screen won't time-out, but it still does after several minutes. Then I move the mouse and all the icons on the desktop are missing, and the only thing that "works" is going to the START screen with all the apps. But when I click an app, it brings me back to the desktop, and nothing opens. But it shows in the taskbar on the bottom of the screen that the program has opened. I just can't view it, or do anything.

Please help! This is very frustrating! I've never had a computer do this (this is a BRAND NEW less than a week old computer)but I also have never used Windows 8, obviously.

Also, is there a way to "downgrade" to a different OS? I REALLY hate windows 8 and would never have purchased it on my own. It just came stock with the computer.

Monday, January 14, 2013 5:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, I suggest to perform these tests to troubleshoot the issue:

1 Run chkdsc /r /f and sfc /scannow

2 Logon with Safe Mode to see if the same issue occurs

3 Create another administrator account and login for test.

Hope that helps.

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Tuesday, January 29, 2013 1:49 AM
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013 3:38 AM
  • If the screen times out on my computer, when I use it next the desktop won't open or display any windows properly. 

it shows in the taskbar on the bottom of the screen that the program has opened. I just can't view it, or do anything.

Sounds like a switch in monitor.  Do you have a second monitor you could hook up?   I suspect you might see your missing items in it.   Alternatively, if your Taskbar is showing thumbnails but no visible windows, use the thumbnails' right-click Move command to bring a missing window back into view.

In my case (with two monitors) I see some of what you are describing when I switch accounts and come back to a session like this one where I have an IE window Fullscreen on my large monitor.   For some inexplicable reason I find that window on my Tablet in normal mode.  Even stranger, pressing F11 transfers it to the proper monitor, where pressing F11 again restores its Fullscreen attribute.   I only have my Taskbar showing on my Tablet but I cringe to think what might happen if these bugs had that variable to play with as well.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, January 21, 2013 8:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, I suggest to perform these tests to troubleshoot the issue:

1 Run chkdsc /r /f and sfc /scannow

2 Logon with Safe Mode to see if the same issue occurs

3 Create another administrator account and login for test.

Hope that helps.

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 3:38 AM
  • ditto!!!!!!!!

Ive windows 8 on my 2week old HP tower (no choice only thing sold) with my LG 47" as the screen- a set up that worked beauty in the past under different OS, but not since 8. so a its a tower not a laptop at least I don't have the frustrating touch-pad to swipe miscommunication issues but Mine does the same screen thingy! 

Changes the icon sizes and doesn't always align the pop-up side panel for settings properly to the screen edge, so there half cut-off and its mostly guess work using them. Hadn't noticed it was happening in relation to when the screen timed out though, will have to pay attention to that now. Interestingly enough it at least keeps it entertaining and changes which magnification it chooses to glitche off into lala land with, each time it happens.

..in general though Ive found this operating system a mass of minor bugs piled on top of each other until something works... all the issues I've had with it made and continue to make me gasp in horror and speculate after who wrote the code for this, cus it's function is not Ok or good in any way except aesthetics. Not to mention that there isnt a single "new and improved" ability of this OS that I wanted, or even that suit my needs.

Windows 8 should be an option when buying a computer designed specifically for the social media, and general nonsensical home-use user sold alongside an older OS more geared towards standard desktop use applications- applications NOT apps, im talking real uses and real third party programs not some half complete version of the iTunes store designed entirely to bring in more revenue, not to ease use. And what's with Hotmail being the guide for everything and the core of my identity as a user of my own PC. like there seriously saying Hotmail chat integration was a priority in development? the windows live suite of crap was the first thing I eliminated off my old computer because it slowed my processing speeds every time they popped up. Like, who over the age of 16 uses these things? certainty no one I know or even want to associate with.. even when I was 16....

Moral of the story= Im also looking for a way to downgrade!!! I want vista back..

I want to be a PC user...but using 8 the past few weeks-and Im a university thesis student so I seriously use it everyday- has really reminded me of all the little issues I've had with past Microsoft OS's, the x-box system and it seems every other piece of technology Microsoft has ever touched over the past ten years. it seems everything that had issues,made it into 8... If this is the trend in the companies response to consumer needs,  I'm def starting to phase out Microsoft from all my family's stuff (x-box's, tablets, pc's, phones) to completely eliminate Microsoft from our life-  this OS is appalling in its tailoring exclusively to market trends that never had anything to do with Microsoft or even pc's and everything todo with their competitors brand being a trendy item. Microsoft never advocated or promoted touch screen use to the exclusion of traditional mouse and keyboard prior to this release and should not have started now. the fact that people didn't all automatically buy touchscreen laptops and Pc's when they came out years ago says a lot about the need for this technology in a PC and this OS just confirms it hadn't happened for a reason- people don't need it, and the technology is not far enough to do it right. its so bad I couldn't even type the two line response about similar issue with out thinking of a million other similar just gaps, bugs whatever in the programming's function it seems

Thursday, January 17, 2013 5:03 PM
  • If the screen times out on my computer, when I use it next the desktop won't open or display any windows properly. 

it shows in the taskbar on the bottom of the screen that the program has opened. I just can't view it, or do anything.

Sounds like a switch in monitor.  Do you have a second monitor you could hook up?   I suspect you might see your missing items in it.   Alternatively, if your Taskbar is showing thumbnails but no visible windows, use the thumbnails' right-click Move command to bring a missing window back into view.

In my case (with two monitors) I see some of what you are describing when I switch accounts and come back to a session like this one where I have an IE window Fullscreen on my large monitor.   For some inexplicable reason I find that window on my Tablet in normal mode.  Even stranger, pressing F11 transfers it to the proper monitor, where pressing F11 again restores its Fullscreen attribute.   I only have my Taskbar showing on my Tablet but I cringe to think what might happen if these bugs had that variable to play with as well.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, January 21, 2013 8:22 PM