Take ownership without loosing other permissions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! I am in a risky situation and need you advice before I proceed solving a case

Seems that a customer has lost access to a folder and a lot of its sub-folders, and when I try to look at the permissions, I cant see anything, because it says "You must be an administrative user with permission to view this object's security properties"

If I click on continue, I am asked to change ownership of the folder and replace all subfolders or only this one...

Doubleclicking on the folder gives me this one 

and clicking continue gives me this image 

Is there a way I can fix that without removing the current permissions list for the users/groups that have access?

Second question:

What does this icon mean?

As you can see, one folder has it and the other doesn't

I know I must be an owner to see permissions, but I dont want to mess up the groups/users that already have permissions.

If I give myselv OWNER now, all other access for other users will be lost, I've seen that testing today

Freddy

Thursday, April 7, 2016 12:20 PM

All replies

• short of having someone who has permissions to it now, give you permissions, then there is no other way around it.

I've come across this many times in the past.  I just blow away the permissions and reset them as best I can.  When the user complains, I explain to them, that it's their own fault for removing my permissions.  I'm the admin, I need permissions, always!

Thursday, April 7, 2016 11:51 PM
  • My collegue did a restore of those folders to a temp location to look at the permissions and rebuilt them... That is how it was solved in this case

Does TAKEOWN always remove permissions?

When this happened it did, but when everything is normal and I just want to change owner, what then? Does it remove ALL permissions every time?

Freddy

Friday, April 8, 2016 10:30 AM
  • Hi Freddy,

Once you take ownership of the file or folder, the user who created the object cannot change the permissions, unless, you give them that permission.

For more information, you could refer to the article below.

NTFS Permissions, Part 2

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2006.01.howitworksntfs.aspx

In addition, for the process, you could refer to the article below.

Watching Folder Activity in VB.NET

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/3192/Watching-Folder-Activity-in-VB-NET

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Jay Gu Thursday, April 14, 2016 7:04 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by CesarTabares Thursday, April 14, 2016 7:57 AM
    Monday, April 11, 2016 1:17 PM
  • Seems that TAKEOWN set for the Administrators group, and ICACLS afterwards set for my admin account somehow restored a lot (maybe not all because i'm not sure what is inherited or not) of the permissions that were there previously. That is a very strange behaviour, but it has happened to me once before, so I was expecting it actually.

My question still stands:

What does this icon mean?

As you can see, one folder has it and the other doesn't

Freddy

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 8:09 AM
  • It generally means that the permissions to access that folder have been restricted so that not everyone can access the folder.  Just you, and/or select other people/accounts.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2016 3:23 PM
  • Hi Cesar,

What does the lock icon mean? Basically that the file or folder has limited user access. It can only be accessed by you, and not anyone else on your computer. Should you want this, then the lock icon is a good way to guarantee that those settings are in the proper place. However, should this not be in yourscope, then it’s a problem.

For more information, you could refer to the article below.

Windows 7 – How to Remove the Lock Icon from a Windows Explorer Folder

http://www.everything-microsoft.com/2010/05/14/windows-7-how-to-remove-the-lock-icon-from-a-windows-explorer-folder/

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Jay Gu Thursday, April 21, 2016 12:57 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Jay Gu Thursday, April 21, 2016 12:58 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Jay Gu Friday, May 6, 2016 6:32 AM
    Thursday, April 21, 2016 12:57 AM