none
problem with get-dpmdisk? RRS feed

• Question

• We have been using get-dpmdisk to monitor the storage pool via scripts.  We are running version 4.2.1373. It appears that the get-dpmdisk cmdlet returns disk partitions that are not in the storage pool. 

For example, we have attached an additional disk to the DPM server (it is a VM, this is an additional SCSI disk).  We use this additional disk for the scratch space required by the Azure agent.  It is a normal disk with a partition and drive letter assigned to it.  It is NOT in the storage pool. get-dpmdisk lists this disk in its results.

When the Azure agent is doing uploads it mounts the VHD files in the scratch folder.  These are also listed in get-dpmdisk.

get-dpmdisk, as documented here (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh881753%28v=sc.20%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396) says it returns the disks in the storage pool.  It clearly is returning more than what is in the storage pool.

Looks like a bug to me.

Rob

Rob

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 5:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Rob,

I have seen this aswell, my solution to this was to only list Dynamic disks:

Get-DPMDisk -DPMServerName "ContosoDPM01" | Where {$_.Type -eq "Dynamic"}

Kind Regards
    Markus Eliasson

Thursday, November 26, 2015 5:09 AM
  • I thought about doing it that way as well.  For those that we have more than one disk, I'd just aggregate the used and free space to return the alerts I want.  It just seems like get-dpmdisk doesn't really do much other than report all disks just like diskpart.  It clearly isn't reporting anything about the overall storage pool.

Here is the version of the code that will successfully report back a ratio that is the free space as a decimal.

import-module DataProtectionManager
    $dpmserver = connect-dpmserver (&hostname) -WarningAction:SilentlyContinue
    $dpmdisk = Get-DPMDisk | Where-Object {$_.DiskTypeLabel -eq "Dynamic"}
    $freespace = $dpmdisk.unallocatedspacelabel.Split(" ") | Where-Object {$_ -ne "GB"} | Measure-Object -sum
    $usedspace = $dpmdisk.totalcapacitylabel.Split(" ") | Where-Object {$_ -ne "GB"} | Measure-Object -sum
    $utilization = $freespace.sum / $usedspace.sum

Rob

Thursday, November 26, 2015 2:44 PM