none
When adding actual hours it decreases total planned hours RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

a weird thing has been happening when i try to add Actual hours into a fixed duration task, it reduces the total planned work instead of increasing it.

Example: Task 1 has:

Work: 10, Actual work: 7, Remaining work: 3...i change actual work to be 10, it reduces both planned and actual work to be 6.

i have no constraint dates and the task is starting asap and has a FS relationship with a predecessor.

Im sure there's something im missing and im hoping someone else has gone through this and can help.

Monday, February 18, 2013 9:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Eagle_One34,

I can't reproduce this.  In a fixed duration task - entering Actual Work correctly calculates remaining work.  The altering Actual again correctly calculates remaining work.

Julie

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:21 AM
  • Hi Julie,

I know i wasn't specific. The problem is that i can't know what settings are making certain tasks behave this way. If i open a new MS Project, everything is working fine. However i have certain tasks that are behaving this way where if i add Actual hours more than the planned hours (Instead of increasing planned hours) it decreases them.

I wanted to give it a shot and see if something like this happened with anybody.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:50 AM
  • Do you have multiple resources assigned?  is the task Effort Driven or not?
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 1:03 AM
  • Yes i have multiple resources and i tried checking if there were any constraint dates on it and there weren't. i tried to see if any resource has any vacation dates in their personal calendar and there werent. i removed effort driven and issue still persists.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:47 PM
  • maybe you can pin point things for me to check out?
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:47 PM
  • I'm sorry - but I can't reproduce this.  Is this a project file you can share by email?
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 8:15 PM
  • can you please provide me with your e-mail address? and i will have to take some sensitive information out of it and send it to you
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 6:52 PM
  • Work: 10, Actual work: 7, Remaining work: 3...i change actual work to be 10, it reduces both planned and actual work to be 6.

i have no constraint dates and the task is starting asap and has a FS relationship with a predecessor.

I have a question here, you say your Work is 10 hours, then when you change Actual Work to 10 hours is that when you see that Work changes to 6 hrs? Because if you update to 10hrs in actual work that means you are marking the task as Completed.

One more check needed, was this task initially a Fixed Work? which was later changed to fixed duration and then you modified actual work and remaining? In that case if a work of 16 hrs was updated with say actual work of 10 hrs (that would calculate remaining as 6 hrs.) but then when you change remaining hrs to 2 hrs. (while actual still is 10 hrs.) project will decrease the Work hours to 10 + 2 = 12 hrs. (from your original 16 hrs.) Is this the case happening?

Sapna Shukla

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:51 PM
  • Hi eagle_one34,

Sure thing - zip and send to: email removed.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:25 PM
  • Julie, Didn't get the e-mail.

Sapna, yes what you described would be the normal way for this task to behave. Unfortunately, it's not and i can't figure out why. i tried changing to fixed work, fixed duration and fixed units and issue still persists with each one of these conditions.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 10:50 PM
  • Hi Eagle,

I didn't leave it out there for much longer than 24 hours as I'd prefer not to have spam. 

Friday, February 22, 2013 4:42 AM