Filtering a document library RRS feed

• Question

• I have a document library in which I have added a column called "location".

Every user of the site is a member of one or more AD groups with names like "location (staff)" or "location (contractor)".

I have also added a yes/no column called "internal".

I would like to filter the view so that users are able to see the documents at their site. I would also like to limit access to the internal documents to staff, excluding contractors.

Can anyone suggest a solution, or provide links to material that would help me produce a solution?

Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:49 AM

Answers

• I have made use of some trickery with a third party product called Nintex Workflow. This may be possible OOTB, but I have no experience with standard workflows.

First I created a workflow which triggers on item creation or update which strips the permissions from the item and grants AD permissions. I have tested this and am satisfied that it works.

Next I then enabled targetted audiences for the document library and updated the workflow to respond to the "internal" field to add audiences to items. I have not yet tested this, but in theory it will hide records that contractors are not supposed to see since they are not the targetted audience.

Friday, January 13, 2012 4:18 AM

All replies

• Hi David,

I see two out of the box solutions:

1. Creating folder and permissioning on the folder based on your AD group would probably be an easier solution for you.

"Folders and Views - Now that SharePoint lists allow folders there are a couple of shortcuts that can be used to set permissions easily on items.  Creating a Folder to place items in allows you to set permissions on that folder and manage permissions in one place.  Now in order to avoid showing these folders you can create a View that is set to show all items without folders.  This would make the list appear normal to a user viewing the list and still automatically apply permissions to list items in these folders.  This method works best for semi-static lists or else it requires a little training to make sure that users know the appropriate folder to create new items in." see this link for details.

2. Setting item level permissions. Basically you will be managing permission on each document.

Hope this helps!

BlueSky2010
    Friday, January 13, 2012 2:01 AM
  • I have made use of some trickery with a third party product called Nintex Workflow. This may be possible OOTB, but I have no experience with standard workflows.

First I created a workflow which triggers on item creation or update which strips the permissions from the item and grants AD permissions. I have tested this and am satisfied that it works.

Next I then enabled targetted audiences for the document library and updated the workflow to respond to the "internal" field to add audiences to items. I have not yet tested this, but in theory it will hide records that contractors are not supposed to see since they are not the targetted audience.

Friday, January 13, 2012 4:18 AM