If a meeting is updated, Client receive a meeting cancellation and the new invite. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Here is the scenario:

Internal User creates an invite and sends it to internal contacts. (Example, "Hold date for meeting" at a certain time & date)

Internal user updates the invite. Adds new attendees (external individuals), change date and title). Sends update to new attended only.

External attendees receives the old invite and the new invite. The body of the old invite that the new attendee receives, reads: " Your meeting was found to be out of date and has been automatically update.

This issue is confusing our client, and i'm not sure what's causing it.  Any help would be appreciated!

A few things to note:

• We recently moved to the Office 365 platform (Hosted Exchange) our users us the Outlook 2010 client.
    • Only external contacts have reported receiving both invites
    • This has only been reported by one user. (Apparently the same client)  
    • I can't seem to duplicate the issue. As i tested with my Hotmail account
    • This started after the migration to O365
    • Invite was created using Outlook 2010 application

Sunday, October 15, 2017 5:16 PM

All replies

• Hi jwilson22,

I tried to test in my Outlook 2016 by sending a meeting request to an internal user and then updated the meeting by adding two external address(a personal outlook.com account and a gmail account), but cannot reproduce the issue neither.

>> This has only been reported by one user. (Apparently the same client)  

By this, do you mean the problem only occurred to a particular external user while the internal attendees didn't receive the cancellation?
    If possible, could you please try testing with another external user in the same organization and see if the issue persists?

It is also suggested to try close the external user's Outlook client and make calendar items changes from OWA then check whether the issue happens in OWA. 

Any findings, please feel free to post back.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 16, 2017 8:49 AM
  • Thanks for you response, Yuki Sun !

I found this Microsoft article on "Understanding Meeting Updates"

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/outlooking/2012/06/11/understanding-meeting-updates/

It summarizes what i believe is happening and it makes sense this makes sense.... 

"In earlier versions of Outlook, you could easily run into one or more of the following problems when sending a meeting update:

The invitee or recipient list does not handle duplicate entries and distribution lists elegantly. Consequently, invitees may receive cancellations and updates at the same time "

The client business relationship is very sensitive and i'm not able to test this..

Monday, October 16, 2017 7:43 PM
  • Hi bankallday,

Thanks for sharing the great blog above here!

By the way, could you please help mark your post above as answer then others who might have a similar situation can more easily find the useful one?

Your understanding and support is appreciated.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 9:47 AM