none
DPM 2012 Sharepoint Protection - cross forest domain issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've just upgraded to DPM 2012 this week and i'm trying to implement Sharepoint Protection for multiple cross-forest domain Front-Ends. I've done the following, without any luck. When i go to create a new protection group, sharepoint farm protection isnt available as one of the options.

- insured DPM agent is install on all servers in environment

- logged in as farm admin account and ran command: configuresharepoint.exe -enablesharepointprotection. It comes back as operation completed successfully.

- insured VSS writer is only running on one Front End

- ran sysadm -o unregisterwsswriter and registerwsswriter and both come back successful.

I've tried this on multiple environments with the same results. Not sure where to go from now. Anyone experience this before? Is it an issue with the front ends being on a seperate domain from the DPM server?

Monday, August 6, 2012 11:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM 2012 supports protecting servers across domains; however, you must establish two-way trust relationship across the domains prior to protecting the computers.

In your case you must have two-way trust relationship between your DPM server and all of your SharePoint (WFE, SQL, etc.) protected server if they are in a different domain.

Stephane.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 5:05 PM
  • Ok, i've tested with a domain that has a two way trust to the domain that the DPM server is on. When modifying the protection group, i am still unable to see sharepoint protection as one of the options. Currently the front end i am testing is attached in DPM as an (untrusted-local user). When i try and attach the front end as a computer on trusted domain in DPM and enter the FQDN, i get an error. It's like DPM doesn't see the servers on the domain with the two way trust. I am able to add it as untrusted.

** NOTE: we have a 2 way non-transitive external trust**

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 11:01 PM
  • Hi a question for you: If I have a one way trust relationship between two forest, can I use DPM 2012 to backup and restore SharePoint?

Regards

FabioA

Friday, April 5, 2013 9:05 AM
  • Hello,

Sorry to post on this very old topic but DPM is able to protect SharePoint Farm based on trusted domain with trusted relationship or not ?

MCITP : Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
    Engineer Hosted Exchange solutions

Monday, April 29, 2013 1:47 PM
  • Someone is able to backup SharePoint with non domain agent ?

MCITP : Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
    Engineer Hosted Exchange solutions

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:39 PM
  • We are experiencing problems described here, Sharepoint farm is not visible when creating a protection group. Sharepoint servers (with SQL) are in untrusted domain.
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:59 AM
  • Hi,

DPM requires a full 2-way transitive forest trust - check if the trust level between the forests is at "Full trust" and not "External" or other value.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 11:02 PM